Banked Circular Highway Curve? Find friction

In summary, you need to find an angle that equals 20 degrees. You can do this by drawing a free body diagram.
GingerBread27
A banked circular highway curve is designed for traffic moving at 65 km/h. The radius of the curve is 230 m. Traffic is moving along the highway at 35 km/h on a rainy day. What is the minimum coefficient of friction between tires and road that will allow cars to negotiate the turn without sliding off the road?

I've figured out an angle which equals close to 20 degrees but from there I have no clue what to do. Any Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
yeah, same question, i have a feeling a lot of uf people are visitin this site!

Thomas Hall :smile:

really? wow, i live in gainesville place... but yeah, this crap is making me angry... we're trying though

my bro's gf who is here lives in sled hall...

How did you get the angle ? Did you draw a free body diagram ?

Resolve all the forces along a pair of directions, and use the condition that there should be not resultant force (in either direction), or else the car will slip.

so have any of you uf people done any of the other problems on part 3? (of the 3 that are due tonight?) cause that's where we're strugglin the most, we've gotten almost all of the other 2 sections... we have one more on each section... (the ant and the abc blocks with pullies)

im over in Murphree Hall (near Fletcher)

i got an answer of .14 and it's wrong

you have an aol name ginger?

hey, I need help here too, it's the only one I can't get

GingerBread27 said:
i got an answer of .14 and it's wrong

Show how you got that. We'll tell you what's wrong.

you have an aol screen name greenman?

Is 0.104 correct? (assuming it's online). Edit no I don't use AIM. I used to have it until I found out it was attached to Weatherbug and other such annoying malwares.

Last edited by a moderator:
you have a aol name vsage?

yes! how did you do it?

yeah, greenman100

UF guys, look at page 129, that will get you an angle

its for 2048, lol

that didnt work for us? the explanation you gave us vsage...

yeah, don't worry man, its cool, we couldn't figure it out, but obviously someone else did, haha, well learn it eventually

1. What is a banked circular highway curve?

A banked circular highway curve is a type of curved road design where the outer edge of the road is higher than the inner edge, allowing vehicles to safely navigate the curve at higher speeds.

2. How does a banked circular highway curve reduce the risk of accidents?

The banked design of the curve helps to counteract the centrifugal force that can cause a vehicle to slide off the road. This allows vehicles to maintain better traction and stability while navigating the curve, reducing the risk of accidents.

3. What factors determine the amount of banking needed for a circular highway curve?

The speed of traffic, the radius of the curve, and the coefficient of friction between the road and the tires are the main factors that determine the amount of banking needed for a circular highway curve.

4. How does friction play a role in a banked circular highway curve?

Friction between the road and the tires is what allows a vehicle to maintain traction and safely navigate the curve. The banked design of the curve helps to maximize the frictional force and prevent vehicles from sliding off the road.

5. What happens if the coefficient of friction is too low on a banked circular highway curve?

If the coefficient of friction is too low, the vehicles may not have enough traction to safely navigate the curve. This can result in accidents, especially at higher speeds. It is important to regularly maintain and monitor the road surface to ensure a safe coefficient of friction for banked curves.