How to affect action potential

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of affecting the action potential propagation in planaria through various means, such as using electricity or altering temperature. The use of voltage clamping and light-sensitive ion channels are also mentioned as potential methods to manipulate the neurons. The purpose of this manipulation is not specified.
nhmllr
If there a way to affect the action potential propagation across neurons, for better or worse?
The organism I have in mind is planaria (flat worm) as they are very simple but can be conditioned (like the Pavlovian dog). I don't think that a non-harmful liquid chemical could have much effect, but is there another way, such as having a source of electricity near them? That's a stupid example, but I think you understand what I mean (I hope). Is there a way I could somehow inhibit the sodium potassium pumps, or the channels?

EDIT: I'm just thinking... Would temperature have much of an effect? Proteins work slower under lower temperatures, don't they?
Also, how many watts/volts/amps of an electrical current could they take? Would it matter?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
I don't know anything specifically about planaria in regard to the resting potential of their neurons, but I'm guessing it's on the order of milli-Volts.
Voltage clamping is one technique that is exactly the kind of electrical stimulus you're talking about, or what I think you are trying to say. I'm not sure if it would be feasible in vivo, but micro electrodes are used to influence the cell potential, inducing an action potential with depolarization, or inhibition with hyperpolarization, or just observation.
I also found this
http://cshprotocols.cshlp.org/cgi/content/abstract/2008/10/pdb.prot5055?print=true
which might or might not be relevant to you

use oubain to inhibit the Na K ATPase activity

or a Na channel blocker like lidocaine

what are you trying to achieve?

I can address your questions about affecting action potential in planaria. First, it is important to understand that action potential is a complex process involving the movement of ions across the cell membrane. The main players in this process are the sodium-potassium pumps and channels, as you mentioned. These pumps and channels are responsible for maintaining the electrical balance within the cell and are essential for the generation and propagation of action potentials.

One way to affect action potential in planaria is by using chemical substances that can alter the function of the sodium-potassium pumps and channels. For example, certain drugs can block the channels, preventing the movement of ions and thus inhibiting action potential. However, as you mentioned, this may not be a feasible option for non-harmful substances.

Another way to affect action potential is by manipulating the temperature. As you correctly pointed out, proteins work slower at lower temperatures. This can affect the function of the pumps and channels, and thus the generation and propagation of action potentials. However, it is important to note that extreme changes in temperature can also be harmful to the organism, so caution must be taken when experimenting with this approach.

Your suggestion of using electricity to affect action potential is not a "stupid example" at all. In fact, electrical currents have been used in research to study the effects on the nervous system. In planaria, it is possible to apply a low-intensity electrical current to manipulate the movement of ions and thus affect action potential. However, the exact parameters and effects would require further research and experimentation.

In terms of the amount of electricity that planaria can tolerate, this would depend on the specific species and their size. It is important to note that even small changes in electrical currents can have significant effects on the nervous system, so careful monitoring and regulation would be necessary.

In summary, there are various ways to affect action potential in planaria, including chemical substances, temperature, and electricity. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential effects on the organism and to conduct thorough research and experimentation before attempting to manipulate their nervous system.

1. What is an action potential?

An action potential is a brief change in the electrical potential across a nerve cell membrane, causing a nerve impulse to be transmitted. It is an important process in the communication between neurons and is essential for various physiological functions, such as muscle contraction and sensory perception.

2. How does an action potential occur?

An action potential occurs when a stimulus triggers the opening of voltage-gated ion channels in the nerve cell membrane. This allows positively charged ions, such as sodium and potassium, to flow into or out of the cell, changing its electrical potential. If the change in potential reaches a certain threshold, it triggers the nerve impulse to be transmitted down the nerve cell.

3. What factors can affect action potential?

The main factors that can affect action potential are the strength and duration of the stimulus, the concentration of ions inside and outside the cell, and the presence of certain drugs or toxins. Additionally, the size and shape of the nerve cell and the amount of myelin surrounding the cell can also impact the speed and amplitude of the action potential.

4. How can I measure or detect action potentials?

One common method to measure or detect action potentials is through the use of electrodes. These electrodes can be placed on the nerve cell membrane to detect changes in electrical potential. Another method is through the use of imaging techniques, such as calcium imaging, which can detect changes in calcium levels within the cell during an action potential.

5. What are some diseases or disorders associated with abnormal action potentials?

Diseases and disorders associated with abnormal action potentials include epilepsy, where there is excessive and abnormal firing of neurons, and multiple sclerosis, where the insulation of nerve cells (myelin) is damaged, leading to disruptions in the transmission of action potentials. Other conditions include Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, and schizophrenia, which have been linked to abnormalities in action potential transmission in certain brain regions.