Is there actually such thing as center of mass in polar coordinates?

In summary: If the boundary is not a plane, then the integral becomes more complicated.You are correct - the integral is more complicated if the boundary is not a plane.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Or any coordinates really. In the normal Cartesian plane, the center of mass is defined from the x, y , and z distance as follows

[tex]\bar{x} = \frac{1}{Area(R)}\iint_R x dA[/tex]

[tex]\bar{y} = \frac{1}{Area(R)}\iint_R y dA[/tex]

[tex]\bar{z} = \frac{1}{Area(R)}\iint_R z dA[/tex]

Now is there one for polar coordinates where you find the center of mass from the average "r" and "theta"?

[tex]\bar{r} = \frac{1}{Area(R)}\iint_R r dA[/tex]

[tex]\bar{\theta} = \frac{1}{Area(R)}\iint_R \theta dA[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel the derivation is going to be a bit lengthy and this really isn't as much of "HW", but just ponder.

In my Calculus book, although we do double integrals in polar coord and find the center of mass, we still stick to the cartesian coordinates.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure. Coordinates are just a way of identifying a point in the plane or space, or wherever. The center of mass could be at (1, 1) in rectangular (or Cartesian) coordinates, or at (sqrt(2), pi/4) in polar coordinates.

No, I mean as a formula.

Like if I give you [tex]f(r,\theta)[/tex], without converting, is there a way to find r and theta's center of mass?

flyingpig said:
Like if I give you [tex]f(r,\theta)[/tex], without converting, is there a way to find r and theta's center of mass?
As stated, this doesn't make any sense, but I think I understand what you're asking, which is, "Are there integrals that give r-bar and theta-bar?"

There might be, but I don't recall ever seeing any.

If you are given r = f(θ) then the answer is yes and no.:uhh:

You can certainly calculate the center of mass:

[tex]\overline x = \frac{\iint_R x\ dydx}{\iint_R 1\ dydx}= \frac{\iint_R r\cos\theta\ r dr d\theta}{\iint_R \ rdrd\theta}[/tex]

and similary for [itex]\overline y[/itex]. And you will get the r coordinate of the center of mass:

[tex]\overline r = \sqrt{\overline x^2+\overline y^2}[/tex]

But that doesn't give you the same as if you tried to use the first r moment to define the r value:

[tex]\overline r = \frac{\iint_r r\ rdrd\theta}{\iint_R rdrd\theta}[/tex]

flyingpig said:
No, I mean as a formula.

You can find the formulas yourself by suitable substitution in integral for x-bar and y-bar. and using from both of them try to get separate integrals for r and theta

Mark44 said:
As stated, this doesn't make any sense, but I think I understand what you're asking, which is, "Are there integrals that give r-bar and theta-bar?"

There might be, but I don't recall ever seeing any.

I am also interested in these integrals. Some functions are just easier to work with in polar coordinates. If I remember correctly, the integral used to find area is derived my summing up areas of infinitesimal sectors of a circle. The formula for area is

A=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [itex]\int[/itex] f(θ)[itex]^{2}[/itex] dθ

iknowless said:
I am also interested in these integrals. Some functions are just easier to work with in polar coordinates. If I remember correctly, the integral used to find area is derived my summing up areas of infinitesimal sectors of a circle. The formula for area is

[itex]\displaystyle \text{A}=\frac{1}{2}\int (f(\theta))^{2}\, d\theta[/itex]
That's true for a planar object whose boundary is defined by r = f(θ) .

1. What is the definition of center of mass in polar coordinates?

The center of mass in polar coordinates is a point that represents the average position of the mass of an object. It is calculated by taking into account the mass and position of each particle or point in the object.

2. How is the center of mass calculated in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, the center of mass is calculated by using the equations for finding the x and y coordinates of a point. The x-coordinate is calculated by taking the integral of the mass multiplied by the cosine of the angle, while the y-coordinate is calculated by taking the integral of the mass multiplied by the sine of the angle. The final coordinates are then divided by the total mass of the object.

3. Is the center of mass the same as the center of gravity in polar coordinates?

No, the center of mass and center of gravity are not the same in polar coordinates. The center of mass is a geometrical point that represents the average position of the mass of an object, while the center of gravity is the point where the weight of an object can be considered to act.

4. Why is the center of mass important in polar coordinates?

The center of mass is important in polar coordinates because it helps to simplify the calculation of the motion of an object. It is also useful in determining the stability and equilibrium of an object, as well as in analyzing collisions and rotations.

5. Can the center of mass change in polar coordinates?

Yes, the center of mass can change in polar coordinates if the mass distribution of the object changes. For example, if more mass is added to one side of the object, the center of mass will shift towards that side. However, the position of the center of mass will remain the same if the mass distribution is symmetrical.