How do you prove the commutative property of multiplication for 4+ factors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the commutative property of multiplication and its application to different numbers of factors. The individual is wondering how to prove the property for 4+ factors and mentions the use of geometry. However, it is pointed out that geometry may not be relevant in this case. The individual then provides an example of how the property holds up for four factors.
hamsa0
I don't know how to construct formal proofs but there is the obvious geometric approach for 2 and 3 factors. However, how do you prove the commutative property holds up for 4+ factors? You end up with a lot of different orders in which you can multiply the factors and you can't just construct a geometric object from them.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't see where geometry comes into it.
The commutative property of multiplication says that ab = ba. For 3 factors it would be abc = cba. For four factors, I guess you're trying to prove that abcd = dcba.
abcd = (ba)(dc) = (dc)(ba) = dcba

Ya after I posted this and hopped on the bus I realized it was a retarded question lol. Thanks for the response though man.

1. How do you prove the commutative property of multiplication for 4+ factors?

To prove the commutative property of multiplication for 4+ factors, we need to show that when we change the order of the factors, the product remains the same. This means that if we multiply the factors in any order, the result will be the same.

2. What is the commutative property of multiplication?

The commutative property of multiplication states that the order in which numbers are multiplied does not affect the result. This means that when we multiply two or more numbers, we can change the order of the factors and still get the same product.

3. Why is the commutative property of multiplication important?

The commutative property of multiplication is important because it allows us to simplify calculations and solve problems more efficiently. It also helps us to better understand the relationships between numbers and operations.

4. How can we prove the commutative property of multiplication using algebraic equations?

To prove the commutative property of multiplication using algebraic equations, we can use the distributive property and the fact that multiplication is associative. By expanding the equations and rearranging the terms, we can show that the order of the factors does not affect the final result.

5. Can you give an example of the commutative property of multiplication for 4+ factors?

Yes, for example, let's consider the multiplication of 2, 3, 4, and 5. According to the commutative property, we can change the order of these factors and still get the same product. So, we can multiply 2 by 3 first, which is equal to 6, and then multiply 6 by 4, which gives us 24. Or, we can multiply 3 by 4 first, which is also equal to 12, and then multiply 12 by 2 and 5, which still gives us 24 as the final result.