Interference between different kinds of particles

In summary, particles can only interfere with themselves, not with other particles. This means that different types of particles cannot interfere with each other. However, in some theoretical situations, different particles may exhibit an interference pattern when observed in a double-slit experiment. This is due to the particles being entangled, but they still do not directly interfere with each other. When a neutron decays, its "ideal" neutron wave ceases to exist and is replaced by the wave functions of its decay products. This concept has been proposed in some theories, but may be contested.
id the sloth
I have only an completed one course on quantum mechanics so please excuse me if this seems rudimentary.

In my course we only dealt with electrons and their interference with one another. Is it possible for an electron and a proton to interfere with one another? Or more generally, can different types of particles interfere with each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
No. Only identical particles can interfere - you have to be able to add amplitudes.

Okay. But the wave functions can still influence each other right? If I were to shoot a proton and neutron at each other and measured the momentum on the proton, assuming I knew the initial momentums, I would be able to figure out the momentum of the neutron in theory. Which means that the wave functions are in an entangled state correct?

id the sloth said:
Okay. But the wave functions can still influence each other right? If I were to shoot a proton and neutron at each other and measured the momentum on the proton, assuming I knew the initial momentums, I would be able to figure out the momentum of the neutron in theory. Which means that the wave functions are in an entangled state correct?

Yes, that's of course correct. If there is an interaction between particles then that will obviously infuence the time evolution of their wave functions.

Sweet, just making sure. Thanks!

No. Only identical particles can interfere - you have to be able to add amplitudes.
We can kinda have interference pattern of different particles, at least in theory.

First we get a particle that decays into few others. Say, a neutron decaying into proton, electron and a neutrino. We shoot this neutron and wait. We can say that it is composed of 3 waves of different speeds. When they all are in phase, we have high probability of detecting a neutron. When the time passes and the 3 waves phase out, we have high probability of detecting proton, electron and neutrino. If we wait a bit longer, the waves will eventually reach the same phase again and create a neutron. I'm assuming that all particles move only in one dimension, but it's only a theory.

If we place detectors along the path of this particle, we will get high probability of detecting a neutron at some places and high probability of proton, electron and neutrino at other places.

Even more, if we did a double-slit experiment with a neutron, we would get a sophisticated interference pattern of detecting neutrons, protons, electrons, neutrinos or no particle at all, with some probabilities. This would have to be huge experiment to let the neutron decay in the process. I make an assumption that 3 particles after neutron decay do not move relative to each other, which is not true in nature, but I hope you get the idea.

In general, any two entangled particles of any kind would give something like an interference pattern in the double-slit experiment.

That is really is interesting. Is that how you model radioactive particles? As the sum of the wave functions of the decay products?

Particles only interfere with themselves, not with other particles.

ie a single photon, electron, elephant can only interfere with itself, not with another photon, electron, elephant.

So obviously a particle could not interfere with a "different kind of particle"

Unless they are entangled.

That is really is interesting. Is that how you model radioactive particles? As the sum of the wave functions of the decay products?
Not quite. Rather, you can say that "physical" neutron is a sum of two waves: "ideal" neutron and (proton, electron, neutrino) triple. These 2 waves happen to be the mass states. Real physical neutron is not the mass state. If the decay products didn't interact except turning into a neutron again, and didn't scatter immediately after decay, then you would get something similar to neutrino oscillations.

unusualname said:

ie a single photon, electron, elephant can only interfere with itself, not with another photon, electron, elephant.

So obviously a particle could not interfere with a "different kind of particle"

In my chem class, the taught us that bonds could be explained as the shared electrons constructively interfering with each other to minimize energy though

haael said:
Not quite. Rather, you can say that "physical" neutron is a sum of two waves: "ideal" neutron and (proton, electron, neutrino) triple. These 2 waves happen to be the mass states. Real physical neutron is not the mass state. If the decay products didn't interact except turning into a neutron again, and didn't scatter immediately after decay, then you would get something similar to neutrino oscillations.

What happens to the "ideal" neutron wave when the "physical" neutron decays?

haael said:
We can kinda have interference pattern of different particles, at least in theory.

I don't understand that setup. Once the neutron decays, you have a proton and electron and neutrino propagating more or less freely. Before it decays you have none of these, and justa neutron propagating freely. Nothing is interfering with anything else.

id the sloth said:
What happens to the "ideal" neutron wave when the "physical" neutron decays?

There is no more neutron wave. Once the Neutron decays it is gone.

haael said:
Unless they are entangled.

Entangled particles still don't interfere with each other.

I've never heard of this before and it sounds pretty iffy to me. Got a reference?

Even more, if we did a double-slit experiment with a neutron, we would get a sophisticated interference pattern of detecting neutrons, protons, electrons, neutrinos or no particle at all, with some probabilities. This would have to be huge experiment to let the neutron decay in the process. I make an assumption that 3 particles after neutron decay do not move relative to each other, which is not true in nature, but I hope you get the idea.

This doesn't really make sense to me. If you let the neutron decay you would get detections and interference of protons, electrons, and nuetrinos but no neutrons, as they have decayed. (Or rather most of them depending on the amount of time between emission and detection)

1. What is interference between different kinds of particles?

Interference between different kinds of particles refers to the phenomenon where two or more particles interact with each other, resulting in a change in their behavior or properties.

2. How does interference between different kinds of particles occur?

Interference between particles can occur through various mechanisms, such as collisions, scattering, or exchange of energy or momentum.

3. What are some examples of interference between different kinds of particles?

Some common examples of interference between particles include the interference of light waves in the double-slit experiment, the interaction between electrons in a semiconductor material, and the collision of subatomic particles in particle accelerators.

4. What are the implications of interference between different kinds of particles in scientific research?

Interference between particles is a fundamental concept in many areas of scientific research, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and materials science. It helps us understand the behavior and properties of matter at the smallest scales and can also be used to develop new technologies.

5. How do scientists study interference between different kinds of particles?

Scientists use a variety of experimental techniques, such as particle accelerators, spectroscopy, and microscopy, to study interference between particles and observe its effects. Theoretical models and simulations are also used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in different environments.