Matrix notation - Two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf

In summary: I have found a simpler way to do it and was able to follow the logic. In summary, the two joint Gaussian vectors have a conditional pdf but the inverse of the resultant matrix is not valid. The Woodbury matrix identity may or may not be useful here.
EmmaSaunders1
Hello

I am having trouble deriving using block matrix notation the conditional pdf of two joint Gaussian vectors:

I assume that it just involves some re-arranging of eq 1 (attatched) but am unsure if taking the inverse of the resultant matrix in eq 1 is valid and if the order of multiplication holds.

Thoughts appreciated

Attachments

• gauss1.JPG
    gauss1.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 502
Physics news on Phys.org
There's an error, inv([I,0;A,I])=[I,0;-A,I], otherwise looks on the right track. If you expand the product it should get an answer that is symmetric in x and y as the factorization shouldn't matter. The Woodbury matrix identity may or may not be useful here.

And yes the matrix isn't guaranteed to be invertible (e.g. if X=Y)

Hello

Thanks very much for your help. I have multiplied out the problem and looked for symmetry as you suggested. I do however have an extra term in comparison to the final solution;

Would you possibly be-able to take a look at the attatched - perhaps I am missing something - is there any kind of concept or theorem I am missing which suggests the extra term is zero or is fundamentally the calculation wrong. I notice in the original attachment there is a "X" sign I assumed this to be matrix multiplication rather than cross product - is this correct??

Thanks again for your help

Attachments

• Gauss2.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 219
Sorry the original version looks correct, ignore my previous comments - in effect you're showing that [I,-Sxx*inv(Syy);0,I]*[x;y] given y is gaussian. Notice that the exponent reduces to -(1/2)*[x'-xbar',y'-ybar']*(inv(S)-[0,0;0,inv(Syy)])*[x-xbar;y-ybar] and use [0,0;0,inv(Syy)] = [I,0;-inv(Syy)*Syx,I]*[0,0;0,inv(Syy)]*[I,-Sxx*inv(Syy);0,I].

Hi Thanks for your help:

I have managed to obtain the desired result - it was simply grouping the matrix multiplication into two parts separated by the X sign in the first attachment to make the multiplication easier. Would you however please be able to clarify - during the expansion I assumed that the product of two different covariance matrices are commutive - is this assumption okay.

I would also like to understand the simpler way you have tried to explain but am unable to follow the logic of the substitution as shown on the attached?

Your helps appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• Gauss3[1].doc
    21 KB · Views: 242

1. What is matrix notation in the context of two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf?

Matrix notation refers to the representation of data in a matrix format, where rows and columns correspond to different variables or data points. In the case of two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf, matrix notation is used to express the joint probability density function of two Gaussian random variables in a matrix form.

2. How is the joint probability density function of two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf expressed in matrix notation?

The joint probability density function of two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf is expressed as a multivariate Gaussian distribution, where the mean vector and covariance matrix are represented in matrix notation. The mean vector is a column vector with the means of the two random variables, and the covariance matrix is a 2x2 matrix with the variances and covariances of the two random variables.

3. What is the advantage of using matrix notation for two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf?

The advantage of using matrix notation for two jointly Gaussian vectors pdf is that it allows for a more compact and efficient representation of the data. This can be especially useful when dealing with large datasets or when performing calculations involving multiple variables.

4. Can matrix notation be used for non-Gaussian distributions?

Yes, matrix notation can be used for any type of distribution, not just Gaussian. However, it is most commonly used for multivariate Gaussian distributions, as it simplifies the representation of the data and allows for easier calculations.

5. How is matrix notation used in practical applications?

Matrix notation is commonly used in various fields such as statistics, machine learning, and signal processing. It allows for efficient manipulation and analysis of multivariate data and is particularly useful for solving systems of linear equations and performing multivariate calculations.