Ideas for a fun mini-design competition (for an ASME meeting)

In summary, the conversation discussed ideas for a short and fun mini design build competition for a university ASME meeting. Examples were given, such as an egg drop and a roller coaster design game, and suggestions were made for other activities like the tower challenge or the marshmallow challenge. The OP also requested if there were any websites with a list of ideas for such competitions.
ehilge
Hey all, I'm looking for a short and fun mini design build competition for a university ASME meeting coming up. I think everyone has been a part of something like this before. For example, I did an egg drop once. We were given about 30 mins, tape, and bendy straws and had to come up with an egg drop vehicle. But I'd like something less messy than that. I tried to google up some ideas but was drawing a blank. Is there a website somewhere that has a list of ideas or do you have any that are particularly interesting?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Well there is this one game that we did back in my school. We had students put into groups. Every group was given some masking tape, plastic straws, paper and a ping pong ball. The objective of the game was to design a roller coaster that would cause the ball to reach the ground in the longest time possible. Of course to make things fair, everyone was given the same amount of each tool to help them create the roller coaster. It really made us think and it was fun in all. I hope this helps!

Another common activity which, requires few materials, and allows for creativity and teamwork is the 'tower challenge' of which there are several variations including the 'marshmallow challenge' for which you can find a TED Talk about with a quick google search.

Ha. Just noticed the OP posted back in 2011!

Last edited:

What is a mini-design competition?

A mini-design competition is a short and fun activity where participants are given a design challenge or problem to solve within a limited amount of time. It can be done individually or in teams, and the goal is to come up with a creative and innovative solution.

How do I come up with ideas for a mini-design competition?

To come up with ideas for a mini-design competition, you can brainstorm with a group of people or think about common problems or challenges related to your field of interest. You can also draw inspiration from previous design competitions or popular design trends.

What are some tips for organizing a successful mini-design competition?

Some tips for organizing a successful mini-design competition include setting clear rules and guidelines, providing all necessary materials and resources, promoting the competition to attract participants, and having a designated judging panel to evaluate the designs.

What are some examples of mini-design competitions for an ASME meeting?

Some examples of mini-design competitions for an ASME meeting could be designing a small-scale prototype of a new machine or gadget, creating a 3D model of a sustainable building or structure, or developing a new and efficient design for a specific mechanical component.

How can a mini-design competition benefit participants?

A mini-design competition can benefit participants by allowing them to showcase their creativity and problem-solving skills, providing an opportunity for networking and collaboration with other professionals in their field, and potentially leading to recognition and prizes for their designs.