Simple New Way to Make Graphene

• Thread starter sanman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphene
In summary, researchers have discovered a simple method of fabricating graphene by using a DVD player to burn graphene oxide into graphene. The conversion is achieved through the LightScribe DVD laser, but the efficiency is unknown. This discovery has potential for use in various applications, including bendy screens and electronics.
Physics news on Phys.org
This was fantastic. I will immediately find the article of it. UCLA is good at graphene issue. I had chance to work with Kang Wang in Summer 2011. It was an excellent experience for me.

Do you have any idea about how was conversion of graphene oxide to graphene achieved?

I dunno, according to the article, the LightScribe DVD laser is reducing the graphene oxide to the graphene. I don't know what the conversion efficiency is. Perhaps you could contact the researchers to ask them.

I found the abstract of the research. If you want I can send it to you

Nah, it's okay - but post it on here if you want, so that everyone can see.

There might be a lot of people who'd like to try replicating this as a student/research project. I bet even high schoolers could do it, if all you need is a LightScribe DVD and the right plastic. It would be nice if high school chemistry classes could try this out, and then perhaps do measurements on the graphene produced.

Quite incredible.

he did say Graphene and not Graphite, right? sounds like Graphite in the video.

Look forward to seeing how this gets used, we've seen bendy screens and electronics before, so roll up computers aren't exactly unfeasable then.

1. What is graphene and why is it important?

Graphene is a two-dimensional material made up of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is important because it has numerous remarkable properties, such as high electrical and thermal conductivity, strength, and flexibility. It has potential applications in various fields including electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine.

2. What is the traditional method of producing graphene?

The traditional method of producing graphene involves a process called mechanical exfoliation, where layers of graphite are separated to produce individual graphene sheets. This method is time-consuming and expensive, making it unsuitable for large-scale production.

3. How does the new method of making graphene work?

The new method, called chemical vapor deposition (CVD), uses a hot gas to deposit carbon atoms onto a substrate, forming a thin film of graphene. The key difference is that the gas is mixed with a small amount of hydrogen, which allows for the growth of large, continuous sheets of graphene.

4. What are the advantages of the new method?

The new method of making graphene is faster, cheaper, and more scalable than the traditional method. It also allows for the production of larger and higher-quality graphene sheets, making it more suitable for commercial use.

5. What are the potential applications of this new method?

The new method of making graphene has the potential to revolutionize industries such as electronics, energy storage, and biomedicine. It could also lead to the development of new technologies and products, such as flexible and transparent electronics, high-performance batteries, and advanced sensors.