Statics: Determine the magnitude of the resultant force

In summary, the student is having trouble solving a homework problem. The student has attempted to solve the problem multiple times and has not been successful. The student has found the x and y components of the equation by using the magnitude of the vector and the cosine or sine of the angle.
C268
1. Homework Statement :

Untitled-2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep attempting this problem and so far I have got this:

F1x: 150
F1y:260
F2x:424
F2y:424
F3x:600
F3y:250

Then I add the x's together and y's together, square both and take the square root for magnitude, but can't seem to get the right answer

Physics news on Phys.org
F1= 800 N at 60 degrees, so F1x = 800cos(60) = 400 N. You have it as 150.

rock.freak667 said:
F1= 800 N at 60 degrees, so F1x = 800cos(60) = 400 N. You have it as 150.

alright so I get 1697 in the end...still didn't work, and I noticed it says to 2 significant digits...I am completely stuck...I have no idea what else would be wrong

Have you gotten any more progress? I have gotten an answer but nowhere near 1697 or 1526. I would recommend splitting up the equation into the x and y components. As you probably have already done. Also when doing it make sure that you are using the correct angle.

No, I kinda gave up for now...as seen in my post I already split up the components into x and y, so not sure what else to do..its such a simple problem I am not sure why I am having trouble with it

Please show your workings so we can better assist in finding your errors. Might be due to an error in detremining force components ( as has been pointed out), or might be an error in the pesty plus or minus sign,...or both.

C268 said:
No, I kinda gave up for now...as seen in my post I already split up the components into x and y, so not sure what else to do..its such a simple problem I am not sure why I am having trouble with it

Well, if you decide to try the problem again we will be here to help you if you still cannot figure it out.

It looks like I have made some small mistakes, I am going to attempt it again this afternoon and hopefully it should work now.

Well I tried again and I am running out of time..but here is my work:

F1x: 400
F1y:693
F2x:424
F2y:424
F3x:600
F3y:250

Fx's:1424
Fy's:1367

(1424^2+1367^2)^(1/2)

As far as how I found the x and y components I simply used the magnitude of the vector times cosine of the angle for x's and sine for y's...

I am very frustrated because this is such a simple problem and I don't see what else I would be doing wrong

What angles are you using for each force? Primarily F3?

Check the angle that you are using for F2. Are you sure you want to use 45 degrees?

Last edited:
Figured it out...and of course it was something stupid...I forgot to add the negatives to the numbers that needed it...I just figured I didn't need them since I was finding the magnitude anyways, but of course that affects the x and y resultant that you square

Exactly! Force is a vector so its direction matters ergo the sign also matters. I'm glad that you figured it out! :smile:

I find it quite easy to always use force triangles when given problems like this since its always easy to make mistakes when resolving( you have more equations obviously high chances of sign mistakes)... wherez you could pplug all the values in one geometric equation and instantly find the magnitude and direction! :)

1. What is statics and how does it relate to determining the magnitude of the resultant force?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in constant motion. It involves analyzing the forces acting on an object and determining the overall effect of these forces, such as the magnitude and direction of the resultant force.

2. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity in statics?

A scalar quantity is described by its magnitude or size, while a vector quantity has both magnitude and direction. In statics, forces are represented as vector quantities because they have both magnitude and direction.

3. How do you calculate the magnitude of the resultant force in statics?

To calculate the magnitude of the resultant force, you must first determine all the individual forces acting on an object and their respective magnitudes and directions. Then, you can use mathematical formulas such as the Pythagorean theorem or trigonometric functions to find the magnitude of the resultant force.

4. What factors can affect the magnitude of the resultant force in statics?

The magnitude of the resultant force can be affected by the number and direction of forces acting on an object, as well as the relative positioning of these forces. Other factors such as friction and the weight of the object can also impact the overall magnitude of the resultant force.

5. How can understanding statics and the magnitude of the resultant force be useful in real-life applications?

Understanding statics and the magnitude of the resultant force is essential in designing structures and machines that can withstand various forces and remain in equilibrium. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering, architecture, and physics, where the analysis of forces is necessary for solving problems and making accurate predictions.