Chapman University: Taking General Physics I Without Ever Having Taken Calculus

In summary, the participant is questioning whether it is possible to take a calculus-based physics class without prior knowledge of calculus. They are currently enrolled in the class and have found some of the material to be new. They explain that they need to take General Physics I & II for Physical Therapy school and were able to bypass the pre-requisite of calculus. However, they have only taken pre-calculus two years ago. The respondent advises the participant to switch to a non-calculus based physics class as calculus-based physics is usually for majors in Physics, Physical Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, etc.
iamMele
Is it doable to take a calculus-based Physics class without ever having taken Calculus? I am currently registered in the class and it has been a week and half. Some of the stuff is completely new to me and I want to see if others have done the same. I need to take General Physics I & II for Physical Therapy school and that is why I got the teacher to bypass the pre-req of Calculus. I have only taken Pre-Calculus and that was 2 years ago.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
iamMele said:
Is it doable to take a calculus-based Physics class without ever having taken Calculus? I am currently registered in the class and it has been a week and half. Some of the stuff is completely new to me and I want to see if others have done the same. I need to take General Physics I & II for Physical Therapy school and that is why I got the teacher to bypass the pre-req of Calculus. I have only taken Pre-Calculus and that was 2 years ago.

Thanks.

No, not if it's calculus based physics, which is usually a class for Physics/P.chem/Chem. Eng./etc. majors only. IMO, you are in the wrong class. Physical Therapy shouldn't be any more than Physics for non-majors (not calc based). Get the heck out of there before it's too late, lol!

1. What is the purpose of taking General Physics I without having taken Calculus?

The purpose of taking General Physics I without having taken Calculus is to introduce students to the basic concepts and principles of physics without requiring prior knowledge of calculus. This allows students to have a better understanding of the fundamental concepts of physics before diving into more complex mathematical concepts in later courses.

2. Will I struggle in General Physics I if I haven't taken Calculus?

It is possible that you may struggle in General Physics I if you haven't taken Calculus, as some of the concepts and problems may require knowledge of calculus. However, the course is designed to be accessible to students without prior knowledge of calculus, and there will be resources available to help you succeed.

3. Can I take Calculus and General Physics I concurrently?

It is not recommended to take Calculus and General Physics I concurrently, as the two courses build upon each other and require a strong understanding of the concepts. It is recommended to take Calculus first and then General Physics I.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage in future Physics courses if I haven't taken Calculus?

Having a strong understanding of calculus is beneficial in future Physics courses, but it is not necessary. Many students are successful in physics without taking calculus, and there are resources available to help you succeed in these courses.

5. What topics will be covered in General Physics I without Calculus?

Topics covered in General Physics I without Calculus may include motion, forces, energy, and momentum. These topics will be explored using algebra and trigonometry instead of calculus. Other topics may include waves, sound, and thermodynamics.