Is my stepper motor causing vibration on my wooden plate?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a stepper motor mounted on a wooden plate that is fixed on a table. The motor provides great torque but does not work when the brackets are mounted on the plate, which is believed to be caused by vibration. Solutions such as using microstepping, dampers, and gear reducers are suggested to reduce vibrations. The person seeking help is also looking for recommendations on where to find suitable dampers.
YeeHaa
Hi everyone,

For a project I'm working on, I'm mounting a stepper motor against a wooden, round plate. This wooden plate is again fixed on a table. The stepper motor is fixed to the wooden plate using 2 metal brackets. The stepper motor itself drives a round object of about 0.4 kg that is directly coupled to its shaft using a coupler. The problem is that the motor provides great torque, and can drive the load with no problem, but from the moment i mount the brackets onto the wooden plate, or even push the brackets against the mounting plate, and try to start the motor, it won't work. If i lift the brackets off the plate, it works again ...

I'm guessing this has something to do with vibration. I tried all kinds of frequencies, but that doesn't help. Is there some kind of standard mounting i can use? The motor is size NEMA 17.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Check that the motor shaft does not protrude from the rear of the motor and gets blocked by the wooden plate.

You can reduce vibrations by using microstepping (if your controller allows that), by using dampers (such as viscous inertial dampers), and by staying away from resonances.

When driving heavy loads with a lot of inertia is often helps to use a gear reducer.

The motor is 'hanging' on the wooden plate, meaning the brackets are on the same side as the motor shaft. So the rear side is facing down vertically. Microstepping is not an option since material has already been bought. The load is really light and starts perfectly when the motor isn't mounted.. It really has to do with vibrations, as i explained in my first post.

Where can i find such dampers?

We use these, usually attached to the rear shaft of the motor.

http://www.orientalmotor.com/products/accessories/clean-dampers-rbk.html

Edit: Disclaimer: I am not associated with this company or product in any way other than being an occasional user.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What causes stepper motor vibration?

The main cause of stepper motor vibration is the rapid switching of the electromagnets within the motor. This can result in an uneven torque output, causing the motor to vibrate.

2. How can stepper motor vibration be reduced?

Stepper motor vibration can be reduced by using microstepping, which breaks up the steps of the motor into smaller increments. This results in smoother movement and less vibration. Another method is to use a damper or shock absorber to absorb the vibrations.

3. Can stepper motor vibration damage the motor?

In most cases, stepper motor vibration will not damage the motor. However, excessive vibration can cause wear and tear on the motor and other components. It is important to properly address and minimize vibration to ensure the longevity of the motor.

4. How can I troubleshoot stepper motor vibration?

If you are experiencing stepper motor vibration, you can troubleshoot by checking the motor's wiring and connections, as loose or faulty connections can cause vibration. You can also adjust the motor's driver settings and use microstepping to reduce vibration.

5. Are there any other factors that can contribute to stepper motor vibration?

Yes, there are other factors that can contribute to stepper motor vibration, such as an unbalanced load, mechanical issues with the motor or its mounting, and inadequate lubrication. It is important to thoroughly inspect and address these factors to reduce vibration in the motor.