My first Space X Launch Experience

In summary, the conversation discusses the recent Space X launch from Cape Canaveral and how it was quieter than previous launches. The reason for this is explained by an engineer who specializes in aerodynamic analysis, who points out that Space X has learned to mix exhaust gases with ambient air in a smoother and gentler manner, similar to modern airplane engines. This is achieved by having nine engines on the back and the ability to shut down engines if needed. This approach saves money and allows for more reserve engine capacity.
Pkruse
I saw my first Space X launch from near Cape Canaveral. I've been watching launches since 1966, and this was by far the quietest of this size vehicle that I've ever heard.

How do you suppose they made it so quiet?

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a Google search on your thread title, and got a few hits. Apparently there was a Popular Science article in June 2008 about the subject -- the link recommends going to your local public library to read the article.

BTW, I also got a hit on "Silent Rocket" -- do not click into that link... :blushing:

Hmm, I found the issue highlights online, and the quiet rocket inventor article is not listed...

http://www.popsci.com/category/tags/june-2008

I had an opportunity to talk with an old jet and rocket engineer, who is still working and is very sharp. His specialty is the aerodynamic analyis. He pointed out that I already knew that in a jet engine, the high noise comes from the rapid and forceful mixing of the exhaust with ambient air along a shear boundary, and that the reason modern airplanes are so quiet is because we have learned to mix the exhaust gasses with ambient in a much smoother and gentler manner. That is why modern engines are so fat with a huge fan up front and a high bypass ratio. He pointed out that Space X did the same thing in another way by putting nine engines on the back, and that is why it is so quiet. I should have thought of that, but didn't.

So the nine engines are arranged to manage the boundary layer better? Interesting...

I'll first state what I know, and then tell you my best guess as to how this works.

They advertise that they can still make orbit with 2 or 3 engines shut down. They are also carrying less than 10% of full capacity. So they clearly have lots of reserve engine capacity.

Guessing: With all engines running, they could throttle down the outboard engines for smoother mixing with ambient. That would leave one in the center to run at 100%.

NASA never designed with so much safety margin. So their stuff had to be much more reliable, which costs massively in schedule and cost in all phases of program life. Space X saved a ton of money and will continue to save for the life of the program by carrying redundancy and not paying for high reliability for individual components and systems.

1. What is Space X?

Space X is a private aerospace company founded by entrepreneur Elon Musk in 2002. It is known for its missions to launch rockets and spacecrafts into space, with the ultimate goal of colonizing Mars.

2. When was the first Space X launch?

The first Space X launch was on June 4, 2010, when the company successfully launched its Falcon 9 rocket into orbit. This marked the first privately funded liquid-fueled rocket to reach orbit.

3. What was the purpose of the first Space X launch?

The first Space X launch, known as the Falcon 9/Dragon Demo Flight, was a demonstration mission to test the capabilities of the Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon spacecraft. It also delivered supplies to the International Space Station.

4. How many successful launches has Space X had?

As of September 2021, Space X has had a total of 130 successful launches. This includes both Falcon 9 and Falcon Heavy rockets, as well as the Crew Dragon spacecraft.

5. What was your personal experience like at the first Space X launch?

As a scientist, it was a thrilling and unforgettable experience to witness the first Space X launch. The power and precision of the Falcon 9 rocket, as well as the successful deployment of the Dragon spacecraft, was truly impressive. It was a significant step in the advancement of private space exploration.