Semiconductor Physics : Charge carrier concentration change on doping

In summary, the conversation discusses the change in charge carrier concentration in a doped semiconductor, specifically in Silicon. The equation {n_0} \times {p_0} = n_i^2 holds even after doping, with an increase in the concentration of free electrons in the conduction band. This increase is due to the donated electrons from donors. The number of holes in the valence band does decrease due to various factors such as the abundance of electrons and the raising of the Fermi level. This decrease in p0 leads to an overall decrease in the number of holes.
Sandbo
Hi,

I have a question regarding the change in charge carrier concentration change.
For a given semiconductor, say Silicon, when it is not doped,
it is easy to understand that [tex]{n_0} \times {p_0} = n_i^2[/tex],
however, on doping with donors to form a n-type semiconductor,
we have
[tex]{n_0} \approx {N_D} > > {p_0}[/tex],
the concentration of free electrons in conduction band increases.

The question is why does the equation
[tex]{n_0} \times {p_0} = n_i^2[/tex]
still hold?

Afaik, n0's increase is due to the donated electrons from donor, there shouldn't much to do with the holes in valence band, i.e. the free holes concentration (p0) in valence band should remain unchanged on the above doping.

While if [tex]{n_0} \times {p_0} = n_i^2[/tex] still holds, it actually implies an decrease in p0).

Probably something I have been missing, would you mind sharing me with your idea?biggrin:
Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The number of holes in the valence band does decrease, yes. You may represent it in a number of ways.

For instance, the abundance of electrons fills the remaining available states in the valence band.

Or the Fermi level raises, nicreasing the filling probability in the valence band.

Or as more electrons fly around, a hole has a shorter life expectancy before it recombines. At the same pair production speed, it means fewer holes.

Thanks a lot for the kind reply!
The reasons are very convincing to me.:tongue:

1. What is doping in semiconductor physics?

Doping is the process of intentionally adding impurities to a pure semiconductor material in order to change its electrical properties. This is done by incorporating small amounts of impurity atoms into the crystal lattice of the semiconductor, thereby altering its charge carrier concentration.

2. How does doping affect the charge carrier concentration in a semiconductor?

Doping introduces additional charge carriers into the semiconductor material, either by adding free electrons (n-type doping) or creating electron holes (p-type doping). This increases the overall concentration of charge carriers in the material, leading to changes in its electrical conductivity and other properties.

3. What factors determine the change in charge carrier concentration on doping?

The change in charge carrier concentration on doping is determined by the type and concentration of dopant atoms, as well as the material properties of the semiconductor. The doping process also depends on the temperature and other external conditions.

4. How does the type of dopant affect the charge carrier concentration change?

The type of dopant determines the majority type of charge carriers (electrons or holes) in the doped semiconductor. For example, adding elements from group III of the periodic table (such as boron) creates p-type semiconductors, while group V elements (such as phosphorus) create n-type semiconductors.

5. What are the applications of controlling charge carrier concentration through doping?

Doping is a crucial process in the fabrication of electronic devices, as it allows for the precise control of the electrical properties of semiconductors. This enables the creation of transistors, diodes, and other electronic components used in various technologies such as computers, smartphones, and solar cells.