At how much of a disadvantage with women is a 5'8 guy?

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Women
In summary, I think a lack of confidence due to anything (one's height, for example) can CERTAINLY hinder a man's chances with a woman. Even if a man is taller than the average, if he doesn't have the confidence to show it, he may not be as successful.

ZombieFeynman said:
I'm still not certain of your point. You quote the average heights of men and women in a specific country.

No offence, but...so what?

Because the average height of men is higher than the average height of women! Therefore, all men are taller than all women! And the average women prefers a man who is four inches taller than she is! Therefore, all women have a completely uncompromising preference for men that are four inches taller!

Physics news on Phys.org

daveyrocket said:
Because the average height of men is higher than the average height of women! Therefore, all men are taller than all women! And the average women prefers a man who is four inches taller than she is! Therefore, all women have a completely uncompromising preference for men that are four inches taller!

Yep. That's what I wanted to say. ;)

Women on average want a man that is two years older than she is. That's why an older women, like Demi Moore, would never date a younger man such as... just to pull a totally random name out of a hat... Ashton Kutcher.

daveyrocket said:
A lot of women don't have anything against dating a guy who's been to prison.
I'd have to say that Jamin's memory is wrong or the survey was in jest, I believe the vast majority of women would not want to date an ex-con. Of course social and educational status of a woman would most likely influence this. If you live in a low income/high crime area, you may not have much of a choice.

No, most women won't see it that way. Women would think "he's short, but ooh, look at those muscles!" Building muscle takes a lot of work, and people (women included) appreciate that.
Again, maybe it's my social circle, and my girl's social circles, regardless of the part of the country I've lived in, but I rarely meet women that are into muscular men, being fit is fine, but men that "bulk out" are considered less attractive, and a man that spends a lot of time on "building muscles" is a negative. Of course this is my experience, perhaps it's odd that the majority of women I've met during my life also feel this way, and I admit I've known women that get into big muscles, but they're the minority, IMO. My advice is if it's not something that you *really* want, don't do it to try to "impress" women, you could end up turning off the type of woman you want.

It's all about confidence. Let me give you an example of what confidence looks like.

I was on my way to my second date with a guy - the first date was just a nice-to-meet you, no kissy-kissy or anything like that. So he called saying that he would be about 5 minutes late. No problem, I said, I'll get a table for us.

So I got a table next to the wall. One seat was a normal chair, the other was a bench seat connected to the wall. I sat on the bench seat so I could see when he came in.

He comes in about 5 minutes late, comes over to the table, walks right by "his" chair and slides onto the bench next to me. Close. Close enough that our thighs are touching! As if it's the most normal thing in the world, not the slightest bit of embarrassment or self-consciousness. Smiling big. "Hi, sorry I'm a bit late! Have you been here long?"

That's confidence. Would it have mattered if he was bald-short-limping-whatever? Nope.

lisab said:
He comes in about 5 minutes late, comes over to the table, walks right by "his" chair and slides onto the bench next to me. Close. Close enough that our thighs are touching! As if it's the most normal thing in the world, not the slightest bit of embarrassment or self-consciousness. Smiling big. "Hi, sorry I'm a bit late! Have you been here long?"

You just met the guy for the first time. You don't find that creepy?

Solute said:
You just met the guy for the first time.

On the second date? If so, the first date must have been the Most Boring Date Ever.

daveyrocket said:
No, most women won't see it that way. Women would think "he's short, but ooh, look at those muscles!" Building muscle takes a lot of work, and people (women included) appreciate that.

I don't lol. I would prefer a short skinny or chubby guy to a short muscular one.

Evo said:
I'd have to say that Jamin's memory is wrong or the survey was in jest, I believe the vast majority of women would not want to date an ex-con. Of course social and educational status of a woman would most likely influence this. If you live in a low income/high crime area, you may not have much of a choice.

Again, maybe it's my social circle, and my girl's social circles, regardless of the part of the country I've lived in, but I rarely meet women that are into muscular men, being fit is fine, but men that "bulk out" are considered less attractive, and a man that spends a lot of time on "building muscles" is a negative. Of course this is my experience, perhaps it's odd that the majority of women I've met during my life also feel this way, and I admit I've known women that get into big muscles, but they're the minority, IMO. My advice is if it's not something that you *really* want, don't do it to try to "impress" women, you could end up turning off the type of woman you want.
This has also been my experience. I do have one friend who prefers guys who are a little bulked out, and generally we do take muscle building as a negative. But again these are all physical things, they may be what attracts you to a guy but not what will keep you with them or make you serious about them.

Vanadium 50 said:
On the second date? If so, the first date must have been the Most Boring Date Ever.

Never mind I missed the part where you said it was second date.

I've known more than a few girls (I say girls because I'm 20) who explicitly stated that they wouldn't date anyone who was not taller than they were. Granted, one could respond that 1. at that age nobody knows what they want anyway, or 2. maybe they just haven't met a good enough small guy yet. But I think it's disingenuous to imply that no such disadvantage exists.

(FWIW I'm a 5'2" guy. Life goes on.)

Hi, 20-year-old single guy here. How exactly do you expect to change your height, Mr. OP? And if you can't change it, why on Earth are you worrying about it? Sounds kinda stupid if you ask me. Wouldn't it be better to worry about things you CAN change, rather than worry about things you can't?

But hey, that's just logic speakin' to me.

Char. Limit said:
Wouldn't it be better to worry about things you CAN change, rather than worry about things you can't?

But hey, that's just logic speakin' to me.
It's also serenity isn't it? How does that AA thing go?

5'8" in MY opinion is NOT short enough to garner any pity. When meeting women you just have to avoid obvious stupid situations, i.e. Don't go out trying to find girls with your 4 tallest friends.

If a woman is 5'3" and you're 5'8" in a room of 5'10" guys, I don't think you're at ANY disadvantage. But if you're 5'2" in a room of 5'5" guys, you're going to have a bad time.

Everything in this post may sound sexist, and I am in no way saying the following is GENERALLY true, but rather GENERALLY observed by myself. There are always exceptions.

I've tended to notice that women are more of a checklist/pass/fail when first meeting you. (And having talked to a few of my friends/curent SO about it). If you have a characteristic that they don't like, it seems to me that they have a harder time getting past it (again, not saying it never happens).

Guys on the other hand have more of a cumulative scoring test. There are things that, on first appearance, we dislike, but if the general total is passable, we're attracted.

Neither of these are bad in any way.
The women I meet tend to "obsess" more (in a non-offensive way). Almost like their brain will keep nagging them about something that's bothering them (is he too short?), and it gets hard for them to look past it (he's almost shorter than me); consequently becoming quite a distraction (what did he just say?). This distraction can lead to a general negative impact, leading her away from him, thus making her appear shallow in the "picky" sense.

Guys on the other hand let SMALL things go much faster (to a fault to be honest) and end up seeming to lack either opinion (I really just don't care if your dress makes you look fat), emotion (You're friend's dog died? a damn shame but it happens, can we watch the move now?) or conviction (I'd love to get sushi for dinner. Oh you want pizza? Thats fine then too.) , leading to us seeming shallow in the "not picky" sense.

So while all these generalizations are great and all, they ONLY APPLY TO THE FIRST 5 SECONDS OF MEETING SOMEONE. As soon as the words "Hi/Hello" are uttered, all bets are off and its up to YOU to make a connection. Sure, a little more work might be required, but that's part of the fun.

So in the end, I'd say SHORT guys (defined as less than the average FEMALE height) and TALL women (defined as greater than the average MALE height) get screwed. (or don't rather).

Hepth said:
SHORT guys (defined as less than the average FEMALE height)

Eh? Average female height in the U.S. is 5'4". You're saying that guys 5'5"-5'8" shouldn't be considered short?

Jamin2112 said:
Eh? Average female height in the U.S. is 5'4". You're saying that guys 5'5"-5'8" shouldn't be considered short?

Well... no.

Jamin2112 said:

That is exactly what I'm saying. As long as you're not shorter than the girl you're talking to, you're not short.

Hepth said:
That is exactly what I'm saying. As long as you're not shorter than the girl you're talking to, you're not short.

That's simply not true.

Jamin2112 said:
That's simply not true.

If you're an inch shorter than average and call yourself short, should a guy an inch taller than average call himself tall?

Hepth said:
If you're an inch shorter than average and call yourself short, should a guy an inch taller than average call himself tall?

Maybe I'm an inch shorter than average if we're including Asians and Mexicans in the average, but in the relevant population of interest, White males, I'm about 3 inches below average.

Jamin2112 said:
Maybe I'm an inch shorter than average if we're including Asians and Mexicans in the average, but in the relevant population of interest, White males, I'm about 3 inches below average.
Start dating Asians and Mexicans and all your problem will be solved.

Jamin2112 said:

It sounds to me like you're looking for excuses to call yourself short. If we pointed out some relevant characteristic of white men that makes you only barely short, or not at all, you'd probably go even further, like "white men in my specific region of America with degrees similar to my own" or something.

Perhaps it would help if you stopped focusing so much on your height?

Being the exact same height is ideal, for the health of one's neck. This is why women bring measuring tapes with them to bars and wear shoes without laces that can easily be removed.

Re: OP

In an earlier post, I pointed out that actor Tom Cruise is 5'7" and he is one of a number of successful "short" actors and Hollywood sex symbols. They broke into, and made a name for themselves in a highly competitive industry where looks and sex appeal are important for leading men and women (as opposed to character actors). How does a "short" guy break into this exceedingly competitive arena? Hollywood is full of hopeless "wanabees". 6'2" "hunks" work as part time security guards or park cars while they wait for the big break that will never come. Is it just a matter of talent? I doubt it. I think a positive attitude and confidence are the key in any competitive arena. Your negativity is apparent to nearly everyone who posted here. In general, people recoil from negativity and are attracted to positivity.

Last edited:

SW VandeCarr said:
In general, people recoil from negativity and are attracted to positivity.
Yes, we're all just electrons in Life's Big Circuit.

SW VandeCarr said:
Re: OP

In an earlier post, I pointed out that actor Tom Cruise is 5'7" and he is one of a number of successful "short" actors and Hollywood sex symbols. They broke into, and made a name for themselves in a highly competitive industry where looks and sex appeal are important for leading men and women (as opposed to character actors). How does a "short" guy break into this exceedingly competitive arena? Hollywood is full of hopeless "wanabees". 6'2" "hunks" work as part time security guards or park cars while they wait for the big break that will never come. Is it just a matter of talent? I doubt it. I think a positive attitude and confidence are the key in any competitive arena. Your negativity is apparent to nearly everyone who posted here. In general, people recoil from negativity and are attracted to positivity.

Not only Tom Cruise, but also John Stewart and Mark Wahlberg, to name just two. But, you do understand that Hollywood does a good job of hiding their short stature; hence the fact that most people will act surprised when they learn that Tom Cruise is 5'7". Most people also probably don't know that FDR was wheelchair-bound. Amazing what the media can do.

zoobyshoe said:
Yes, we're all just electrons in Life's Big Circuit.

Except psychology has told us that negative people attract other people as far as I know, certainly Attachment Theory suggests that, also "birds of a feather flock together" (The law of attachment and also la lay de emparejamiento.. don't know it in English) has been proven scientifically more times than "opposites attract" when it comes to human relationships.

In my own personal experience everybody likes positive people, no matter how they are personally, but that's not what my textbook says. o_O

Only as much as he believes himself to be.

<h2>1. What is the average height for men and women?</h2><p>The average height for men is around 5'9 and for women it is around 5'4. However, height can vary greatly depending on factors such as genetics, ethnicity, and nutrition.</p><h2>2. Is being 5'8 a significant disadvantage for men in terms of dating and relationships?</h2><p>While height can play a role in initial attraction, it is not the sole determining factor in dating and relationships. Many other qualities such as personality, intelligence, and compatibility also play important roles.</p><h2>3. Are there any studies or research that show a correlation between height and success with women?</h2><p>There have been some studies that suggest taller men may have an advantage in certain areas such as career success and earning potential. However, these studies are not conclusive and do not apply to every individual.</p><h2>4. Can a man's height be a dealbreaker for women?</h2><p>Some women may have a preference for taller men, but it is not a dealbreaker for all women. Every person has their own unique preferences and priorities when it comes to dating and relationships.</p><h2>5. Are there any ways for a 5'8 guy to overcome this perceived disadvantage with women?</h2><p>Height is not something that can be changed, but there are many other qualities that can make a person attractive to others. Focus on developing confidence, a positive attitude, and being a good listener and communicator. These traits can make a person more appealing to potential partners regardless of their height.</p>

1. What is the average height for men and women?

The average height for men is around 5'9 and for women it is around 5'4. However, height can vary greatly depending on factors such as genetics, ethnicity, and nutrition.

2. Is being 5'8 a significant disadvantage for men in terms of dating and relationships?

While height can play a role in initial attraction, it is not the sole determining factor in dating and relationships. Many other qualities such as personality, intelligence, and compatibility also play important roles.

3. Are there any studies or research that show a correlation between height and success with women?

There have been some studies that suggest taller men may have an advantage in certain areas such as career success and earning potential. However, these studies are not conclusive and do not apply to every individual.

4. Can a man's height be a dealbreaker for women?

Some women may have a preference for taller men, but it is not a dealbreaker for all women. Every person has their own unique preferences and priorities when it comes to dating and relationships.

5. Are there any ways for a 5'8 guy to overcome this perceived disadvantage with women?

Height is not something that can be changed, but there are many other qualities that can make a person attractive to others. Focus on developing confidence, a positive attitude, and being a good listener and communicator. These traits can make a person more appealing to potential partners regardless of their height.