Aluminum wire, current, voltage, density, find mass

In summary, we have an aluminum wire with a length of 175 m and a current of 125 A. The potential difference between the ends of the wire is 0.300 V and the density of aluminum is 2700 kg/m3. Using Ohm's law, we can find the resistivity of aluminum and use it to calculate the cross sectional area of the wire. With the cross sectional area, length, and density, we can then find the mass of the wire.
vaxopy
An aluminum wire is hung between two towers and has a length of 175 m. A current of 125 A exists in the wire, and the potential difference between the ends of the wire is 0.300 V. The density of aluminum is 2700 kg/m3. Find the mass of the wire

I have no idea how to do this :'(

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:
[tex] R = resistivity \ \frac{l}{S} [/tex]

Daniel.

Resistance [tex] R = s \frac {l}{A}[/tex] where s is the resistivity of Aluminum. Find the cross sectional area A using this equation. (R is found using ohm's law V = I*R)

Well, knowing cross sectional area, length and density you can find the
Mass.

Sorry Daniel. I did not see your post. I was busy typing... :smile:

vaxcopy are you in Frenrich's physics class in edmonton AB, i know how to do this question but i don't get the other ones if you are in her class. help?

1. What is the purpose of using aluminum wire instead of copper wire?

Aluminum wire is often used as a cheaper alternative to copper wire for electrical purposes. It has a lower density and is less expensive, making it a more cost-effective option for larger projects.

2. How does current flow through aluminum wire?

Current flows through aluminum wire in the same way as it does through any other conductor. The electrons within the wire are pushed by a source of voltage, creating a flow of electricity.

3. Is there a difference in voltage requirements for aluminum wire compared to copper wire?

Yes, there is a slight difference in voltage requirements between aluminum and copper wire. Aluminum wire typically requires a higher voltage to maintain the same level of current as copper wire due to its lower conductivity.

4. What is the density of aluminum wire?

The density of aluminum wire can vary depending on the specific alloy and manufacturing process, but generally falls between 2.6 to 2.9 grams per cubic centimeter.

5. How do I calculate the mass of aluminum wire?

To calculate the mass of aluminum wire, you will need to know the density, length, and diameter of the wire. You can use the formula: mass = density x volume, where volume can be calculated using the formula: volume = π x (diameter/2)^2 x length.