Solving Laplace Transforms Homework

In summary: However, there is a quirk when using the dsolve function in Matlab that needs to be taken into account.
zhaniko93

Homework Statement

I'm given the transfer function of LTI system is [itex]\frac{1}{s^2 + 4}[/itex]

Homework Equations

H(s) = [itex]\frac{Y(s)}{X(s)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all I had to find diff. equations of the system. I found that it's y'' + 4*y = x;
Then they asked to find such initial conditions that if I applied unit impulse at input, I got y=0 for time t>=0; I took Laplace transform of diff. equation with initial conditions and got that s^2Y - sY(0) - Y'(0) + 4Y = 1; I want y=0, so Y=0 and 1+sY(0) + Y'(0) = 0; I'm wrong in something...

Physics news on Phys.org
Matlab

Code:
syms y(t) x(t) a t
Dy = diff(y);
A = dsolve(diff(y, 2) + 4*y == dirac(t), y(0) == 0, Dy(0) == -1);
ezplot(A, [0 10])

pretty(laplace(A))

I get something slightly different in matlab

Thanks milesyoung, it helped!

You should use y for the time functions and Y for the transformed variables.

You are right in saying y(0+) = 0 but what about y'(0+)?

rude man said:
You are right in saying y(0+) = 0 but what about y'(0+)?
He/she wrote the correct initial conditions in the code segment.

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that transforms a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and study systems in the frequency domain.

2. How do I solve Laplace Transform homework problems?

To solve a Laplace Transform homework problem, you will need to use the properties and rules of Laplace transforms, as well as some algebraic manipulation. It is important to carefully follow the steps and pay attention to any given initial conditions or restrictions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve Laplace Transforms?

Yes, there are many calculators and software programs available that can perform Laplace transforms. However, it is important to understand the concepts and steps involved in solving them by hand before relying on technology.

4. What are the applications of Laplace Transforms?

Laplace transforms have a wide range of applications in engineering, physics, and mathematics. They are commonly used to solve differential equations, analyze electrical circuits, and study the behavior of systems in the frequency domain.

5. Are there any tips for solving Laplace Transform homework problems?

Some tips for solving Laplace Transform homework problems include carefully following the steps, practicing with different types of problems, and checking your answer using inverse Laplace transforms. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller steps and double-check your algebraic manipulations.