Calculate Steel Pipe Thickness for Oil Transportation | Safety Factor 1.5

In summary, the problem is to determine the minimum thickness of a steel pipe carrying oil under a head of 70m with a safety factor of 1.5. Using the formula for head and thickness, a thickness of 4.2mm was calculated, but this was deemed too small. The question of whether to use the diameter or circumference was raised, and it was clarified that the formula uses the radius. The calculation of stress in the pipe wall was also discussed.
DylanW
1. Homework Statement
A 1.2m diamater steel pipe carries oil of relative density 0.822 under a head of 70m of oil. What minimum thickness of 120MPa (yield stress) steel would be required for a safety factor of 1.5?

2. Homework Equations
Head = pressure/rho.g
thickness = (safety factor.Pressure.radius.)/Tensile Strength

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Okay so I worked out pressure by Pressure = head x density x gravity = 563892 Pa
Then I worked out the thickness by (1.5 x 562492 x 0.6)/120,000,000 = 0.0042 m = 4.2mm

Seems a bit too small to me, could someone please tell me if this is plausible or if not where I have gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey just a brainwave am I maybe supposed to use the diamater or circumference? Gives a more plausible seeming result

What formula are you using to calculate the stress in the pipe wall?

I didn't think that I needed to from the research I've done. The only formula I could find for minimum thickness is the one I posted above. Am I missing something?

If the formula says radius, you use the radius.

What is pipe thickness and why is it important?

Pipe thickness is the measurement of the wall thickness of a pipe, typically expressed in inches or millimeters. It is important because it determines the strength and durability of the pipe and its ability to withstand pressure and other external forces.

How do I calculate the required pipe thickness for a specific application?

The required pipe thickness can be calculated using the Barlow's formula, which takes into account the maximum allowable stress, pipe diameter, and pressure of the system. The formula is as follows: t = (P * D) / (2 * S * E), where t is the required pipe thickness, P is the internal pressure, D is the outside diameter of the pipe, S is the maximum allowable stress, and E is the quality factor.

What factors affect the pipe thickness calculation?

The main factors that affect the pipe thickness calculation include the type of material used for the pipe, the pressure and temperature of the system, and the intended purpose of the pipe (i.e. transporting liquids or gases).

How do I ensure the accuracy of my pipe thickness calculation?

To ensure the accuracy of your pipe thickness calculation, it is important to use the correct formula and input accurate values for all the variables. It is also recommended to consult with a professional engineer or refer to industry standards for specific applications.

Are there any tools or resources available to help with calculating pipe thickness?

Yes, there are various online calculators and software programs available that can assist with calculating pipe thickness. However, it is important to double-check the results and use them as a guide, as they may not account for all factors and variables in a specific application.