Differential equations (initial-value problem)

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of y_0 for which the solution to the initial-value problem touches, but does not cross, the t-axis. Using the method of integrating factors, we find the solution to be y(t)=\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3} and the value of y_0 to be \frac{3}{8}\left( 7 - 3e^{4/3} \right) \approx -1.642876.
DivGradCurl
Consider the initial-value problem

[tex]y^{\prime} + \frac{2}{3} y = 1 - \frac{1}{2}t,\quad y(0) = y_0[/tex]

Find the value of [tex]y_0[/tex] for which the solution touches, but does not cross, the [tex]t[/tex]-axis.

The only problem that I seem to have is finding this particular solution that "touches, but does not cross, the [tex]t[/tex]-axis".

Any help is highly appreciated.

First, I use the method of integrating factors.

[tex]y^{\prime} + \frac{2}{3} y = 1 - \frac{1}{2}t \qquad \mbox{(Standard Form)}[/tex]

It follows that

[tex]p(t)=\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

and

[tex]g(t)=1 - \frac{1}{2}t[/tex]. Thus, we find

[tex]\mu (t) = \exp \int p(t) \: dt = \exp \frac{2}{3} \int \: dt = e^{2t/3}[/tex]

and

[tex]y(t)=\frac{1}{\mu (t)}\left[ \int \mu (t) g (t) \: dt + \mathrm{C} \right][/tex]
[tex]y(t)=e^{-2t/3}\left[ \int e^{2t/3} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{2}t \right) \: dt + \mathrm{C} \right][/tex]
[tex]y(t)=e^{-2t/3}\left[ \left( \frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t \right) e^{2t/3} + \mathrm{C} \right][/tex]
[tex]y(t)=\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \mathrm{C} e^{-2t/3}[/tex]

The initial condition gives

[tex]y_0 = \frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}(0) + \mathrm{C} e^{-2(0)/3} \Longrightarrow \mathrm{C} = y_0 - \frac{21}{8}[/tex]

So, we get

[tex]y(t)=\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3}[/tex]

The problem now is finding the appropriate value for [tex]y_0[/tex]. The answer my textbook gives is [tex]y_0\approx -1.642876[/tex], but so far I haven't been able to figure out the way to work backwards from there. Anyhow, I tried to find it by plotting some of the solutions. It turns out that all of them are horizontal lines. So, maybe I just need to find [tex]y_0[/tex] that gives the line [tex]y=0[/tex]. But again, I'm not so sure. Am I on the right track?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Thiago. The equation is not a horizontal line. Not sure I understand what you mean by that. How about this: if it's continuous and touches the x-axis but does not cross it (and is not y=0), then aren't y and y' zero there? So that's two equations in two unknowns, albeit non-linear ones. It's a start anyway.

Yeah... you're right! What was I thinking?!? If it were a line, it'd fit the form y = ax + b. I must have overlooked my y. :rofl:

Anyway, I see what you mean. I'll use y = 0 and y' = 0 this time.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey, thank you so much. That works fine!

First, we look into [tex]y=0[/tex].

[tex]\frac{21}{8} - \frac{3}{4}t + \left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3} = 0[/tex]

Solving it for [tex]y_0[/tex] gives [tex]y_0 = \frac{3}{8} \left( 7 - 7 e^{2t/3} + 2t e^{2t/3} \right)[/tex]. Next, we look into [tex]y^{\prime}=0[/tex].

[tex]-\frac{3}{4} -\frac{2}{3}\left( y_0 - \frac{21}{8} \right) e^{-2t/3} = 0[/tex]

Using the [tex]y_0[/tex] found in the last step, and solving for [tex]t[/tex] gives [tex]t=2[/tex]. Finally, we substitute that value back in [tex]y_0[/tex] and get [tex]y_0 = \frac{3}{8}\left( 7 - 3e^{4/3} \right) \approx -1.642876[/tex]

That's it!

this helped me soooo much! thanks you

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes the rate of change of a variable with respect to another variable or variables.

What is an initial-value problem?

An initial-value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding the solution to an equation with given initial conditions. These initial conditions provide the starting point for solving the equation.

What are the methods for solving initial-value problems?

There are several methods for solving initial-value problems, including the separation of variables method, the method of undetermined coefficients, and the Laplace transform method. Each method may be more suitable for certain types of equations.

What are the applications of differential equations in the real world?

Differential equations have numerous applications in the real world, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They are used to model various systems and phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

What are the challenges in solving initial-value problems?

Some of the challenges in solving initial-value problems include finding the correct method to use, determining the appropriate initial conditions, and dealing with non-linear or complex equations. It may also be difficult to find exact solutions for some equations, requiring the use of numerical methods.