Eletric potential inside charged sphere with hole inside

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric potential in all space for a charge density of ρ=k/r, k>0, located between two sphere surfaces of r=a and r=b, where b>a. The electric field equations for different regions are given, and the method for finding the electric potential is discussed. The key hint given is that V(r) for r<a is equal to V(r) for a<r<b.
rmfw

Homework Statement

Consider a charge density of ρ=k/r , k>0 , located between a sphere surface of r=a and another sphere surface of r=b, b>a.
I'm supposed to find the electric field on all space, which I did. Now I have to find the electric potential in all space, which I also did for r>b, but I'm having problems finding it for a<r<b and for r<a.

Homework Equations

These are the electric field equations I came up with:
r<a : E(r)=0
r>b: E(r)=(k*(b2-a2))/(ε0*2*r2)
a<r<b: E(r)=(k*(1-a2/r2))/(2*ε0)

Electric potential for r>b: V(r)=(b2-a2)/(2ε0*r)

The Attempt at a Solution

For finding the EP at r>b I just had to integrate E(r) for r>b with limits between r and ∞ which is equal to V(r)-V(∞) with V(∞)=0, but I can't come up with any solution for the other Epotentials, if someone could give me a hint I would appreciate.

Thanks!

Attachments

• sphere.jpg
    sphere.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Based on your solution for r>b, what is V(b)?
Can you calculate the potential between a and b, if you know V(b)? The method is similar to the region r>b.
r<a is easy once you have the region a<r<b, as there is no field inside.

to find V(b) I can use the equation of the potential for r>b right?

Then to find V(r) for a<r<b:

V(r)=-∫rbE(r).dr + V(b)

and then repeat the process to find V(r) for r<a, where there is no field, which means V(r) for r<a = V(r) for a<r<b.

Correct?

Last edited:
rmfw said:
to find V(b) I can use the equation of the potential for r>b right?

Then to find V(r) for a<r<b:

V(r)=-∫rbE(r).dr + V(b)

and then repeat the process to find V(r) for r<a, where there is no field
Sure.

, which means V(r) for r<a = V(r) for a<r<b.

Correct?
I guess that is a typo here.

Likes 1 person
I guess that is a typo here.

Ah yes! It should be V(r) = V(a) for r<a.

That was the hint I needed, thanks!

1. What is the electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside?

The electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside depends on the charge and radius of the sphere, as well as the distance from the center of the sphere to the point in question. It can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/R, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and R is the distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How does the electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside differ from that of a solid charged sphere?

The electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside is different from that of a solid charged sphere because the charge on the surface is not distributed evenly in the case of a sphere with a hole. This results in a non-uniform electric field and potential inside the sphere.

3. Can the electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside be negative?

Yes, the electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside can be negative. This occurs when the charge on the sphere and the distance from the center of the sphere to the point in question are such that the potential is negative according to the formula V = kQ/R.

4. How does the presence of a hole inside a charged sphere affect the electric potential at the surface?

The presence of a hole inside a charged sphere does not affect the electric potential at the surface. The potential at the surface is still given by the formula V = kQ/R, where Q is the total charge on the sphere and R is the radius of the sphere.

5. Is the electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside affected by the material of the sphere?

No, the electric potential inside a charged sphere with a hole inside is not affected by the material of the sphere. It only depends on the charge and radius of the sphere, as well as the distance from the center of the sphere to the point in question.