What is the average density of the duck floating on a lake?

In summary, the conversation discusses the average density of a duck floating on a lake with 25% of its volume beneath the water. The participants are trying to determine the formula to use and come to the conclusion that the density of the duck is equal to the density of the displaced water. They also mention using the mass density equation to solve the problem.
heather32283
Probably an easy question, just can not figure it out.
A duck is floating on a lake with 25% of its volume beneath the water. What is the average density of the duck?

To me it seems like they do not provide enough information to figure the problem out, I am soo stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think all you need is the density of water, which is 1000kg/m^3

yea I know that but I can not figured out the forula in which to use

The weight of the water displaced by the duck is equal to the weight of the duck. How does the volume of the displaced water compare to the volume of the duck?

its equal also isn't it

re-read the problem statement...

The duck's volume is V, the amount of volume displaced is equal to the amount of volume under the surface, so .25*V

ok got that part, just confused

can you do the rest of the problem then?

so we would just use the mass density equation right

for a floating object, the bouancy force is equal to the weight of displaced water.

density(duck)*g*V(duck) = density(fluid)*g*V(displaced)

What is Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is a scientific law that states that the buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

Who was Archimedes?

Archimedes was an ancient Greek mathematician, physicist, engineer, inventor, and astronomer who lived in the 3rd century BC.

How did Archimedes discover this principle?

Archimedes discovered this principle while taking a bath. He noticed that the water level rose as he entered the bath, and he realized that the volume of water displaced was equal to the volume of his submerged body.

What are some real-life applications of Archimedes' principle?

Archimedes' principle is used in various fields, such as shipbuilding, submarine design, hot air balloons, and even in the functioning of our lungs. It also explains why some objects float while others sink in water.

Does Archimedes' principle only apply to liquids?

No, Archimedes' principle applies to all fluids, including gases. It also applies to objects of any shape and size, as long as they are immersed in a fluid.