Where Can I Find Free Resources on the Gross-Pitaevskii Equation?

• Thread starter MalleusScientiarum
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding information on Bose-Einstein condensation without having to spend money on a textbook. Pethick and Smith's book on BECs in Dilute Gases is recommended, as well as the review article "Theory of Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped gases" by Dalfovo et al. Other online resources, such as "Making, probing and understanding Bose-Einstein condensates" and Gould and Tobochnik's notes on statistical mechanics, are also suggested.
MalleusScientiarum
I'm trying to find some basic information on it, preferably without dropping money on another $100+ textbook. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been told that Pethick and Smith's book on BECs in Dilute Gases has s good treatment of Gross-Pitaevskii. There are a bunch of better references I can get in a day or two.

PS : And while that is likely a $100 + book, I'm sure you'll find a copy at your library.

PPS : Actually, the book seems to be pretty hard to come by, but if you can get your hands on it, get it - especially if you plan to work with BECs.

Last edited:
The following review article is an absolute "must read" :

"Theory of Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped gases", F. Dalfovo, S. Giorgini, L. Pitaevskii, S. Stringari, Rev. Mod. Phys., 71, 463-512 (1999)

Gokul43201 said:
The following review article is an absolute "must read" :

"Theory of Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped gases", F. Dalfovo, S. Giorgini, L. Pitaevskii, S. Stringari, Rev. Mod. Phys., 71, 463-512 (1999)

On line: "Theory of Bose-Einstein condensation in trapped gases"
http://pi1.physi.uni-heidelberg.de/physi/atph/teaching/vorlesung/BEC02/Literatur/BECtheory-RMP71(1999).pdf [Broken]

like this one: "Making, probing and understanding Bose-Einstein condensates"
http://cua.mit.edu/ketterle_group/Projects_1999/Pubs_99/kett99varenna.pdf

Regards, Hans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't looked into these yet, but I was also recommended Gould and Tobochnik's online notes on stat mech.

1. What is the Gross-Pitaevskii Equation?

The Gross-Pitaevskii Equation (GPE) is a mathematical equation that describes the dynamics of a quantum-mechanical system of bosons, specifically in the context of Bose-Einstein condensates. It is named after its creators, physicists Eugene Gross and Lev Pitaevskii.

2. How is the Gross-Pitaevskii Equation derived?

The GPE is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It is a non-linear partial differential equation that describes the evolution of the wave function of a quantum system over time.

3. What is the significance of the Gross-Pitaevskii Equation?

The GPE has significant implications in the study of Bose-Einstein condensates, which are a unique state of matter formed at extremely low temperatures. It helps to understand the properties and behavior of these condensates, which have potential applications in areas such as quantum computing and precision measurement.

4. What are some limitations of the Gross-Pitaevskii Equation?

The GPE is a mean-field theory and therefore does not take into account many-body effects that may be present in a Bose-Einstein condensate. It also assumes that the condensate is in thermal equilibrium, which may not always be the case.

5. How is the Gross-Pitaevskii Equation used in research and applications?

The GPE is used in research to model and predict the behavior of Bose-Einstein condensates in various experimental setups. It is also used in practical applications such as designing and optimizing Bose-Einstein condensate-based devices and technologies.