Continuous functions with multiple variables

In summary, when finding the value of f at (0,0) to make the function continuous, for f(x,y)=sqrt(x^2+y^2)/[abs(x) + abs(y)^(1/3)], the limit is 0 and the function is continuous at (0,0). However, for f(x,y)=(x^2 + y^2)*ln(x^2 + 2y^2), the limit is indeterminate as it results in -0*infinity. Further manipulation or use of l'hopital's rule may be needed to find a value for f at (0,0) to make the function continuous.
cappygal
I need to find a value for f at (0,0) to make this function continuous:

f(x,y)=sqrt(x^2+y^2)/[abs(x) + abs(y)^(1/3)]

With other functions in this problem I simply took the limit .. but taking the limit gives 0/0. In single-variable calculus I would apply l'hopital's rule to this, but I'm not sure what to do with multiple variables.

I also need to do the same for:

f(x,y)=(x^2 + y^2)*ln(x^2 + 2y^2)

For this one, you get 0*0, again an indeterminant form. In single variable I would manipulate it until I got 0/0 and then apply l'hopital .. but I'm lost in multivariable.

Physics news on Phys.org
In f(x,y)=sqrt(x^2+y^2)/[abs(x) + abs(y)^(1/3)] the numerator goes to 0 faster than the denominator (e.g. along x=y); so my guess is f(0,0) = 0.

0*0 is not indet., it is 0. But ln(0) = -infty so you have -0*infty, which is indet. I don't have an answer for that one (yet).

1. What is a continuous function with multiple variables?

A continuous function with multiple variables is a mathematical function that has multiple input variables and produces a single output value. This means that for small changes in the input variables, there will only be small changes in the output value, and there are no sudden jumps or breaks in the function.

2. How is continuity defined in a function with multiple variables?

A function with multiple variables is continuous if, as the input variables approach a particular value, the output value also approaches a specific value. This can be represented mathematically as: lim f(x,y) = f(a,b), where (a,b) is the limit point.

3. What is the importance of continuous functions with multiple variables?

Continuous functions with multiple variables are essential in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They allow for the modeling and analysis of complex systems and phenomena that involve multiple variables. These functions are also used in optimization problems to find the optimal values of multiple variables.

4. How are continuous functions with multiple variables graphed?

In order to graph a continuous function with multiple variables, a three-dimensional coordinate system is used, with the input variables represented on the x and y axes, and the output value represented on the z-axis. The graph will show the relationship between the input variables and the output value in a 3D space.

5. What are some examples of continuous functions with multiple variables?

Some examples of continuous functions with multiple variables include the temperature of a room, which is affected by multiple variables such as outside temperature, insulation, and heating/cooling systems. Another example is the distance traveled by a car, which is affected by variables such as speed, time, and terrain. In mathematics, the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2 is a continuous function with two variables, x and y.