Simple series but my answer looks wrong

• Thread starter Benny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, we derived a Taylor series about the origin for the function f(x) = log(1+x), found the interval of convergence for the series, and used it to deduce the Taylor series about the origin for the function arctanh(x). The interval of convergence for the series in part c is (-1,1).
Benny
I have doing a question which I cannot get the answer to. I would like some help with it if it can be done.
a) Derive a Taylor series about the origin for the function f(x) = log(1+x).
b) Find the interval of convergence for the Taylor series, justifying your answer.
c) Use the result of 'a' to deduce the Taylor series about the origin of the function [tex]\arctan h\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{2}\log \frac{{\left( {1 + x} \right)}}{{\left( {1 - x} \right)}}[/tex]
d) On what interval does your series in 'c' converge?

I obtained:
a) [tex]\log \left( {1 + x} \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} \frac{{x^n }}{n}} [/tex]

b) I = (-1,1]

c) [tex]\arctan h\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{2}\log \frac{{\left( {1 + x} \right)}}{{\left( {1 - x} \right)}} = \frac{1}{2}\left( {\log \left( {1 + x} \right) - \log \left( {1 - x} \right)} \right)[/tex]

[tex]
\log \left( {1 + x} \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} \frac{{x^n }}{n}} \Rightarrow \log \left( {1 - x} \right) = - \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{x^n }}{n}}
[/tex]

[tex]
\arctan h\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{2}\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left[ {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} \frac{{x^n }}{n} + \frac{{x^n }}{n}} \right]}
[/tex]

[tex]
= \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left[ {\left( {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} + 1} \right)\frac{{x^n }}{{2n}}} \right]}
[/tex]

That doesn't look right.

d) I know(or rather, remember seeing somewhere) that if you have a product of series then the radius of convergence of the product is the smaller of the radii of convergence of the individual series. I don't think that applies here through since I've got a sum of series and not a product. I'm stuck on part 'c' mainly. Can someone have a look through my answer and tell me where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Good work, almost there

Benny said:
I have doing a question which I cannot get the answer to. I would like some help with it if it can be done.
a) Derive a Taylor series about the origin for the function f(x) = log(1+x).
b) Find the interval of convergence for the Taylor series, justifying your answer.
c) Use the result of 'a' to deduce the Taylor series about the origin of the function [tex]\arctan h\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{2}\log \frac{{\left( {1 + x} \right)}}{{\left( {1 - x} \right)}}[/tex]
d) On what interval does your series in 'c' converge?
I obtained:
a) [tex]\log \left( {1 + x} \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} \frac{{x^n }}{n}} [/tex]
b) I = (-1,1]
c) [tex]\arctan h\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{2}\log \frac{{\left( {1 + x} \right)}}{{\left( {1 - x} \right)}} = \frac{1}{2}\left( {\log \left( {1 + x} \right) - \log \left( {1 - x} \right)} \right)[/tex]
[tex]
\log \left( {1 + x} \right) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} \frac{{x^n }}{n}} \Rightarrow \log \left( {1 - x} \right) = - \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\frac{{x^n }}{n}}
[/tex]
[tex]
\arctan h\left( x \right) = \frac{1}{2}\sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left[ {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} \frac{{x^n }}{n} + \frac{{x^n }}{n}} \right]}
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sum\limits_{n = 1}^\infty {\left[ {\left( {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} + 1} \right)\frac{{x^n }}{{2n}}} \right]}
[/tex]
That doesn't look right.
d) I know(or rather, remember seeing somewhere) that if you have a product of series then the radius of convergence of the product is the smaller of the radii of convergence of the individual series. I don't think that applies here through since I've got a sum of series and not a product. I'm stuck on part 'c' mainly. Can someone have a look through my answer and tell me where I'm going wrong?

Parts a and b are correct, without question.

As for part c: The last sum is good except that [tex]\frac{{x^n }}{{2n}}}[/tex] should be [tex]\frac{{x^n }}{{n}}}[/tex]. From there, note that

[tex]\left( {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} + 1} \right) = \left( 1 - (-1)^{n} \right)[/tex], which is 0 for even n and 2 for odd n, hence your sum reduces to

[tex] \mbox{arctanh}(x) = \sum\limits_{n = 1}^{\infty} {\left[ {\left( {\left( { - 1} \right)^{n + 1} + 1} \right)\frac{{x^n }}{{n}}} \right]}
= \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n=1,3,5,...}^{\infty} (2)\frac{x^{n}}{n} = \sum_{n=1,3,5,...}^{\infty} \frac{x^{n}}{n} = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{x^{2n-1}}{2n-1}[/tex]

as it must.

As for part d, the interval of convergence of the above series is [tex]-1 < x < 1[/tex], that is [tex]x\in (-1,1) [/tex]. I obtained this by using the ratio test and testing both end points (neither of them converge).

Last edited:
Thanks for the help benorin.

1. Why does my answer look wrong even though I followed the simple series?

There could be a few reasons for this. It's possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or that there is a typo in your answer. It's also possible that the series is not as simple as it appears and requires a different approach to solve.

2. Is there a specific formula or method to solve simple series?

Yes, there are various formulas and methods for solving different types of simple series. Some common ones include arithmetic progression, geometric progression, and harmonic progression. It's important to understand the underlying pattern of the series to determine the appropriate formula to use.

3. How do I know if I have the correct answer for a simple series?

The best way to check if you have the correct answer for a simple series is to plug it back into the original equation and solve. If the answer you get matches the given value for the series, then your answer is correct. You can also double-check your calculations and make sure you followed all the steps correctly.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve simple series?

Yes, you can use a calculator to help with the calculations for simple series. However, it's important to understand the steps and concepts behind solving the series so that you can catch any mistakes or errors made by the calculator.

5. Are there any tips for solving simple series more efficiently?

One tip is to look for patterns in the series and try to determine if it follows an arithmetic, geometric, or harmonic progression. This can help you use the appropriate formula and solve the series more efficiently. It's also helpful to double-check your calculations and plug your answer back into the original equation to confirm its accuracy.