Like a thousand needles stabbing your heart

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heart
In summary: This comment supports the idea that a deep breath during a PCS attack will cause an increase in pain.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
What is it called when you get a sudden chest pain that lasts for just a second or two? Homer Simpsons described it as a feeling of a thousand needles stabbing into his heart.

I tried to google it but all I got was emo poetry. Your wordth are like a thouthand needleth thtabbing into my heart. /wrists

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!

You're right, Evo. If the pain is brief and near the area of the heart, Shawn should be hieing himself to the local saw-bones. Angina could be a sign of a serious problem.

I believe that angina lasts longer that just a few seconds. I'm no doctor, though, so maybe I'm wrong. Side stitches can be so painful that it's hard to tell exactly where the pain is coming from.

- Warren

better safe than sorry--

if you haven't called the DR. for an appt. yet, ...----

Any speculation may be off. Could be anything. That's what doctors are for to sort out.

Sometimes I'll get a stabbing "chest pain" while eating, when accidentally swallowing an uncomfortably large bubble of air.

- Warren

chroot said:
Sometimes I'll get a stabbing "chest pain" while eating, when accidentally swallowing an uncomfortably large bubble of air.

- Warren

you mean, you'd rather swallow many smaller air bubbles more comfortably?

rewebster said:

It's a good party trick.

- Warren

Perhaps it's voodoo. But a thousand needles is probably an exaggeration. It's usually only one or two needles applied in rapid succession.

Bad ju ju!

Edit: Wait a minute! When you googled "stabbing chest pain" you got poetry? I got http://www.doctorslounge.com/cardiology/forums/backup/topic-3971.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
ouchupuncture

rewebster said:

Worst stomach aches ever :grumpy. Worst of all, you can't stop it from happening.

Just a second or two could be anything, yes, including a bit of a gas bubble.

I think of a stitch as being in the side, below the ribcage, not in the chest. But, we don't have pain receptors in the organs contained within the chest and abdomen, so sensations of pain, unless they're directly from a sore muscle, are referred pain. You perceive it out on the body wall somewhere when it could be coming from a lot of places internally. Why this happens is not really well understood.

If it happens repeatedly, then I'd get it checked out. If it's just a one-time thing, and really short in duration (a couple seconds), I wouldn't be too worried.

I get this sometimes, usually happens along with breathing in deep. If I breathe in deep and get the sharp needle pain I just take real short breathes until it goes away after a few minutes.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I get this sometimes, usually happens along with breathing in deep. If I breathe in deep and get the sharp needle pain I just take real short breathes until it goes away after a few minutes.

A few minutes is a lot longer than a few seconds. You should get that checked out. A deep breath shouldn't cause pain.

Moonbear said:
A few minutes is a lot longer than a few seconds. You should get that checked out. A deep breath shouldn't cause pain.

The pain doesn't last throughout the few minutes. But when I take a deep breathe within the few minutes then I get the sharp middle left chest pain. I always just thought it was a gas bubble.

I dunno. Probably nothing urgent if it just happens once in a while and not every time you take a deep breath, but probably worth a mention on the next checkup just to be sure, especially if it's happening in the same place each time.

Hmmm, I'd never heard of this before - Precordial catch syndrome

PCS manifests itself as an intense, sharp pain typically below the left, but sometimes right, nipple or breast which is worse when taking breaths. This typically lasts 30 seconds to 3 minutes and then is resolved as quickly as it began.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

Dr Bear, what is your opinion on this article?

Evo said:
Hmmm, I'd never heard of this before - Precordial catch syndrome

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precordial_catch_syndrome

Dr Bear, what is your opinion on this article?

I hadn't heard of that before either, so don't really know what to think of it.

Though, this comment:
Although deep inhalation during a PCS attack will likely cause an increase in pain, many have found that forcing themselves to breathe as deeply as possible will result in a "popping" sensation which quickly and completely resolves the PCS episode.

leads me to concur with the following paragraph that it could be a pinched nerve. The location they are describing the pain is a place where a fairly large nerve branch passes through the chest wall to innervate pectoral muscles. If it's being pinched in some way between the muscles, and stretched on inspiration, that would make some sense. But, that's complete guessing. It's not entirely implausible at least. And, when they describe it mostly occurring in children, it could be something stretched or pinched due to rapid growth spurts.

It doesn't sound like side stitch. Side stitch lasts longer and is lower on the sides of your stomach, almost the kidney region.

1. What does the phrase "like a thousand needles stabbing your heart" mean?

The phrase "like a thousand needles stabbing your heart" is often used to describe a feeling of intense emotional pain or heartache. It implies a sharp and persistent pain that can be overwhelming and unbearable.

2. Is the phrase "like a thousand needles stabbing your heart" meant to be taken literally?

No, the phrase is typically used figuratively to convey extreme emotional pain. It is not meant to be taken literally as an actual physical sensation.

3. Where did the phrase "like a thousand needles stabbing your heart" originate?

The origin of this phrase is uncertain, but it has been used in literature and poetry for centuries to describe intense emotional pain. It is a metaphor that has become a common expression in modern language.

4. Are there any specific emotions or situations the phrase "like a thousand needles stabbing your heart" is often associated with?

The phrase is often used to describe feelings of heartbreak, grief, betrayal, or deep longing. It can also be used to express the physical pain of loss or disappointment.

5. Can the phrase "like a thousand needles stabbing your heart" have a positive connotation?

No, the phrase is usually associated with negative emotions and is not typically used in a positive context. However, it can be used in a metaphorical sense to describe a powerful and intense feeling, which could be interpreted as positive by some individuals.