Show a closed subset of a compact set is also compact

In summary, to show that a closed subset E of a compact set F is also compact, we can use the definition of compactness and the fact that F is compact. By taking an open cover of E and adding the open set S\E, which covers all of F, we can find a finite subcover that covers E, thus proving that E is compact.
filter54321

Homework Statement

Show that if E is a closed subset of a compact set F, then E is also compact.

Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure you refer back to the Heine-Borel theorem to do this.

"A subset of E of Rk is compact iff it is closed and bounded"

The Attempt at a Solution

We are deal with metric spaces here. It should seem that I need to prove the same thing as in the second half of the Heine-Borel theorem. My textbook is proving Heine-Borel in a confusing way without clear statement/reason steps that I can apply to my problem.

-From the given information, E is in F
-From the given information, every open cover of F has a finite subcover of F
-From the given information, S \ E is open

...not sure where this leave me

Physics news on Phys.org
The Heini-Borel theorem only applies to euclidean spaces. Use the definition of compact.

You don't need Heine-Borel for this. Take an open cover of E. If you add the open set S/E to that (S is the whole space, right?), then you have an open cover of F. Since F is compact... Can you continue?

I'm with you so far...you declare O and open cover of E. Then you take the union of O and S \ E and get an open set. This unified open set has to cover all E and all not-E so it has to be an open cover for all of F.

So how does the compactness of F flow back down to E? (Clearly, I have no idea what I'm doing).

Since F is compact, there is a finite subcover. So that subcover also covers E. Now you don't need the S\E set to cover E. What's left is a finite subcover of the original cover that covers E.

1. What is a closed subset of a compact set?

A closed subset of a compact set is a subset that contains all its limit points. This means that every sequence within the subset converges to a point within the subset.

2. How do you prove that a closed subset of a compact set is also compact?

To prove that a closed subset of a compact set is also compact, we can use the Heine-Borel theorem, which states that a set is compact if and only if it is closed and bounded. Since a closed subset is already closed, we just need to show that it is also bounded, which can be done by showing that it is contained within a larger compact set.

3. Can a closed subset of a compact set be open?

No, a closed subset of a compact set cannot be open. This is because a closed set contains all its limit points, meaning that it includes the boundary points of the set. An open set, on the other hand, does not contain its boundary points.

4. How does the compactness of a set affect its closed subsets?

The compactness of a set does not affect its closed subsets. A set can be both compact and closed, but it can also be compact and not closed. The compactness of a set only guarantees that every open cover has a finite subcover, while the closedness of a set guarantees that it contains all its limit points.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding the compactness of closed subsets?

Yes, understanding the compactness of closed subsets is important in many areas of mathematics and science. For example, in topology, it is used to study continuous functions and the behavior of spaces. In physics, compactness is used to describe the behavior of particles and energy in a given system. In general, understanding the compactness of closed subsets helps us understand the structure and properties of mathematical and physical systems.