Double integral to simple integral

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral \iint_R f(x+y) dxdy where R is defined as { (x,y) \in R² | 0 \leq x \leq 1, 0 \leq y\leq 1-x} and f is continuous at [0,1]. The approach suggested is to change coordinates to u = x+y and find the new limits and Jacobian.
aldrinkleys
Hello. Can anyone help me, please?

R = { (x,y) [tex]\in [/tex] R² | 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] 1, 0 [tex]\leq[/tex] y[tex]\leq 1-x[/tex]}

f is continuous at [0,1]

Show that

[tex]\iint_[/tex]R f(x+y) dxdy = [tex]\int_{[0,1]}[/tex] u f(u) du

Physics news on Phys.org
hi aldrinkleys! :smile:

the obvious thing would be to change to coordinates one of which is u = x+y :wink:

I tried to it. But I don't know what to do after.

when you tried it, what was your other variable?

What I did:

u = x+y
so
x = u-y
y = u-x

x [tex]\geq[/tex] 0
y [tex]\geq[/tex] 0
y [tex]\leq[/tex] 1-x

u-y [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] u [tex]\geq[/tex] y
u-x [tex]\geq[/tex] 0 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] u [tex]\geq[/tex] x
u <= 1

x [tex]\in[/tex] [0,1]
y [tex]\in[/tex] [0,1]

So

u [tex]\in[/tex] [0,1]

And I don't know what to do about the integral and the Jacobian, etc :(

what to you think about?

Ps: OMG, tex isn't working :(

aldrinkleys said:
… and i don't know what to do abou the integral and the jacobian, etc :(

you need two variables:

x+y and x

or x+y and y

x+y and x-y …

make a choice, then find the new limits and the Jacobian! :smile:

:!) I'm so happy!

Thank you very much!

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept that allows for the calculation of the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. It is essentially the combination of two single integrals and is represented by two integral signs.

2. How is a double integral different from a simple integral?

A simple integral involves finding the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space, while a double integral involves finding the volume under a surface in a three-dimensional space. In simple terms, a double integral is a generalization of a simple integral.

3. What are the applications of double integrals?

Double integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate the mass, center of mass, and moment of inertia of a solid object, as well as to find the average value of a function over a region in a three-dimensional space.

4. How do you solve a double integral?

To solve a double integral, you first need to identify the region of integration and the limits of integration. Then, you can use different methods such as the Riemann sum, Fubini's theorem, or change of variables to evaluate the integral. It is important to follow the correct order of integration, either in the form of dx dy or dy dx, depending on the type of integral.

5. Can a double integral be converted to a simple integral?

Yes, a double integral can be converted to a simple integral by using the concept of iterated integrals. This involves integrating the inner integral first and then using the result as the upper or lower limit of the outer integral. However, not all double integrals can be converted to simple integrals, and it depends on the complexity of the function and the region of integration.