Trying to make a Superconducting tube

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a firm that does custom manufacturing for a superconducting hollow cylinder. The speaker proposes using high Tc powders to form the cylinder and considers the option of adding a binder. However, they are concerned about potential drawbacks to using a binder. The other person suggests buying a solid cylinder of niobium or aluminum and drilling a hole instead. The cost of liquid helium is also mentioned as a factor to consider.
TimDubya
I'm doing an experiment which requires the fabrication of a superconducting hollow cylinder but I am unable to find a firm which does custom manufacturing of this nature. I have found numerous which sell the high Tc powders (YBCO BSCCO). My question is if I do just buy the powders what could I do to form my cylinder? I was thinking I could either press it into shape or add a binder of some sort. However I recognize the binder idea may diminish some properties of the HTS.

Any and all insight appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can't you just buy a solid cylinder of niobium or aluminum and then drill a hole?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Can't you just buy a solid cylinder of niobium or aluminum and then drill a hole?

Zz.

Liquid helium is expensive.

Yes, but so is making a tube of YBCO that manages to superconduct. I was going to recommend a niobium tube. You can buy these commercially.

1. What is a superconducting tube?

A superconducting tube is a type of tube made from a material that has zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature, called the critical temperature. This allows for the tube to conduct electricity with no energy loss, making it highly efficient.

2. What materials are used to make superconducting tubes?

Superconducting tubes are typically made from materials such as niobium-titanium or niobium-tin, which have a high critical temperature and can sustain superconductivity at high magnetic fields.

3. How are superconducting tubes made?

Superconducting tubes are made using a process called powder-in-tube (PIT) technique. This involves inserting a superconducting powder, such as niobium-titanium, into a metal or alloy tube and then heating and drawing the tube to reduce its diameter and increase its length. This process aligns the superconducting particles and creates a continuous superconducting path along the length of the tube.

4. What are the potential applications of superconducting tubes?

Superconducting tubes have a wide range of potential applications, including in powerful magnets for medical imaging machines, high-speed trains, and energy storage devices. They can also be used in particle accelerators, quantum computing, and other advanced technologies.

5. What are the challenges in creating a practical superconducting tube?

One of the main challenges in creating a practical superconducting tube is achieving and maintaining the necessary low temperatures. This often requires the use of expensive and complex cryogenic systems. Another challenge is maintaining the integrity of the tube's superconducting properties, which can be affected by factors such as impurities and mechanical stress.