How can I write a conclusion for a Hookes law experiment?

In summary, Hooke's law is a law that states that the force applied to a spring is in direct proportion to the distance the spring is stretched. This law is usually applied to springs, but can also be applied to other elastic objects. There are limitations to this law, as it is only applicable to elastic materials.
rons49
im having bother writing the conlcusion for hookes law experiment, can anyone help or point me in the right direction ?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is hookes law? Are there limitations of hookes law?

hooke's law states that spring extension is in direct proportion to the load applied, within the elastic limit of the spring F = KX

F is the force applied to the spring in Newtons (N)
k is the spring constant measured in Newtons per meter (N/m)
x is the distance the spring is stretched from its equilibrium position in meters (m)

so now relate that definition of hooke's law to your hypothesis and your observations. Mention its limitations.

Analyse the relationship between the conclusion drawn from your data and Hooke's law to verify its validity. Also, is there any anomalies? Do they indicate limitations of Hooke's Law?

I recently finished my first course in mechanics (or maybe I should call it physics course A, however...) but we also talked a bit about Hooke's Law. Unfortunately my teacher wasn't a "real" teacher in physics (actually he was a teacher of Mechanical engineering) and it doesn't look like we learned the "real" Hooke's law, can anyone explain to me what this is then in simple terms?:

σ = Eε

My teacher told us that this (^) was hooke's law. A quick look on wikipedia shows F=-kx, but also I can find σ = Eε if I scroll down a bit.

I know that sigma is the stress caused on a certain area (like the area of the cable holding up an elevator), E is the elastic modulus of a certain material, and epsilon, umm I don't know the word for it in english but I know what it is. :)

Thanks in advance.

F = -kx is an equation of motion. Your σ = Eε seems to be more of a definition of materials.

RobinSky said:
I recently finished my first course in mechanics (or maybe I should call it physics course A, however...) but we also talked a bit about Hooke's Law. Unfortunately my teacher wasn't a "real" teacher in physics (actually he was a teacher of Mechanical engineering) and it doesn't look like we learned the "real" Hooke's law, can anyone explain to me what this is then in simple terms?:

σ = Eε

My teacher told us that this (^) was hooke's law. A quick look on wikipedia shows F=-kx, but also I can find σ = Eε if I scroll down a bit.

I know that sigma is the stress caused on a certain area (like the area of the cable holding up an elevator), E is the elastic modulus of a certain material, and epsilon, umm I don't know the word for it in english but I know what it is. :)

Thanks in advance.

The σ=Eε is the general Hooke's law. It may be applied to any piece of elastic material, of any shape. In general all terms are tensors. For the simple case of a bar pulled by the ends with a force F , σ is the force per unit cross section area and ε is the relative elongation.
E is a material constant (Young's modulus).

F=-kx applies to a spring or any elastic object. Here k is a constant of the object and not of just the material. Springs made from the same material may have different values of k, depending on size and shape.

Ahhh! Thanks nasu for the good explanation, also I've noticed these "physic" words differ a lot from language to language :b however, big thanks!

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring is proportional to the distance the spring is stretched or compressed. This relationship is represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance.

2. What is the purpose of conducting a Hooke's Law experiment?

The purpose of a Hooke's Law experiment is to verify the relationship between the force applied to a spring and the resulting displacement. This helps to understand the properties of springs and their behavior under different conditions.

3. How do you set up a Hooke's Law experiment?

To set up a Hooke's Law experiment, you will need a spring, a ruler, a weight hanger, and weights. First, attach the spring to a stable surface. Then, hang a weight hanger from the bottom of the spring. Next, measure the length of the spring without any weights attached. Finally, add weights to the hanger and measure the length of the spring again. Repeat this process with different weights to collect data.

4. What are the common sources of error in a Hooke's Law experiment?

Some common sources of error in a Hooke's Law experiment include friction in the spring, inaccurate measurements of the spring length, and imprecise measurements of the weights. It is important to minimize these errors by using proper equipment and techniques.

5. How is Hooke's Law used in real life?

Hooke's Law is used in many real-life applications, such as designing springs for different purposes, including shock absorbers, trampolines, and car suspensions. It is also used in engineering and construction to determine the amount of force needed to maintain the structural integrity of buildings and bridges.