How to quantify a color's effect on heat transfer.

In summary, the engineer is trying to calculate the heat transfer coefficient for different colors of paint and materials. He is looking for feedback on how to approach the problem. He has found a resource that suggests some automotive paints have an emissivity of around 0.98. He is also including a safety factor to account for potential inaccuracies.
Indychus
Hey,

I am working on a thermodynamic design problem, and am trying to come up with some coefficients to modify Qin through a metal surface that is painted different colors. I know that there would be a significant difference in heat through the surface if it were black as opposed to a lighter color, but i need some way to actually quantify it for use in a thermodynamic analysis. I would greatly appreciate any input on the subject.

Science news on Phys.org
This is only true in visible light. It could differ wildly in infrared. A good example is a regular black kitchen trashbag, It's black, yet it passes infrared light completely!

That's very interesting with the trash bag, I have never considered that!

Basically, i am designing an A/C system for a small vehicle. I am trying to calculate Qin through the various surfaces, i.e. windows, roof, etc. I have no idea how to take color into account for the qin through the roof.

Would it be correct to use the surface's emissivity coefficient? Where can I find emissivity values for different colors?

Indychus said:
Would it be correct to use the surface's emissivity coefficient? Where can I find emissivity values for different colors?

That I cannot help you with. If you've already done a thorough google search then perhaps someone else here will be able to assist you.

Even with the same color (as seen by your eye), the coefficients can be different. If you want to do it properly, measure the emissivity for the full spectrum of relevant light. If some approximation is enough, measure the total emissivity in your relevant environment.

Well thanks for the input :) I'm pretty sure i can calculate the Qin and use the emissivity coefficient to modify it based on color and material, but I'd like a confirmation of that from someone who knows more about the subject than myself. Hopefully someone will chime in.

mfb said:
Even with the same color (as seen by your eye), the coefficients can be different. If you want to do it properly, measure the emissivity for the full spectrum of relevant light. If some approximation is enough, measure the total emissivity in your relevant environment.

The number does not have to be exact, a ballpark will work. Just wanting confirmation that I am approaching this the right way. Do I have to consider both the emissivity of the paint AND the underlying material?

Indychus said:
The number does not have to be exact, a ballpark will work. Just wanting confirmation that I am approaching this the right way. Do I have to consider both the emissivity of the paint AND the underlying material?

If it is paint on metal and not too thick a layer of paint then I reckon the only relevant factor for heat transfer would be the paint emissivity.

I found this link, which suggests that, ball park, you could treat emissivity factor of 'paint' as pretty near 1. After all, you should be pessimistic in these exercises.

Thanks for all of the help guys, I think I've got this figured out. I found the engineering toolbox chart earlier today, but was hesitant to use the 1 since I find it hard to believe that a painted surface has the same emissivity as a total black body. I found another resource that claims the most automotive paints are between 0.90-0.96. To err on the cautious side, I am going to use 0.98 in my calculations, but am also including a healthy factor of safety to ensure that it has adequate cooling.

Really, I could just cobble this together and it would probably work fine, but doing the calculations is a great exercise, and I love this stuff :)

1. How do you measure the impact of color on heat transfer?

To measure the impact of color on heat transfer, scientists use spectrophotometers to measure the reflectance and absorption of different wavelengths of light. This allows them to determine the amount of energy that is absorbed or reflected by an object based on its color.

2. How does color affect the rate of heat transfer?

The color of an object affects the rate of heat transfer by determining the amount of energy that is absorbed or reflected. Darker colors, such as black, absorb more energy and therefore have a higher rate of heat transfer compared to lighter colors, which reflect more energy.

3. Can color impact the overall temperature of a room?

Yes, the color of walls, furniture, and other objects in a room can impact the overall temperature. Darker colors will absorb more heat, leading to a warmer room, while lighter colors will reflect more heat and keep the room cooler.

4. Does the type of material also play a role in the effect of color on heat transfer?

Yes, the type of material can also impact the effect of color on heat transfer. Different materials have different levels of reflectance and absorption, which can affect the rate of heat transfer. For example, a black metal object will have a higher rate of heat transfer compared to a black fabric object.

5. Is there a specific color that is best for maximizing heat transfer?

There is no specific color that is best for maximizing heat transfer, as it depends on the specific application and desired outcome. For example, in solar panels, dark colors may be more beneficial for absorbing energy and converting it into electricity, while in cooling systems, lighter colors may be more effective for reflecting heat and maintaining lower temperatures.