Why does a gyroscope accelerate?

In summary, a gyroscope has two forces acting on it (the normal force and its weight), and assuming they cancel, the total acceleration of the center of mass should be zero. However, the center of mass accelerates, thus indicating that there is another force present. It is not clear what this force is, but it seems to be necessary for the gyro to keep from spinning.
AlwaysCurious
A gyroscope has two forces acting on it (is this wrong?): the normal force and its weight. Assuming they cancel, the total acceleration of the center of mass should be zero. How then, does the center of mass spin in a circle? Is there another force (friction?) present? If I released a gyroscope on ice, would it not spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
A gyroscope has two forces acting on it (is this wrong?): the normal force and its weight. Assuming they cancel, the total acceleration of the center of mass should be zero.
...but the acceleration of the center of mass is not zero - what does that tell you about the how gravity gets balanced?

There is plenty written on this online - is there something you don't follow from those descriptions? eg.
http://science.howstuffworks.com/gyroscope1.htm
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-75134.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-50897.html
https://www.physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-21495.html

Simon Bridge said:
...but the acceleration of the center of mass is not zero - what does that tell you about the how gravity gets balanced?
This is the question I asked: the normal force acts entirely vertically, and so does the weight: because, during uniform precession, the center of mass does not accelerate downwards (or up), the two forces have to cancel. However, the center of mass accelerates, thus ƩF cannot be zero. What is the other force?

I understand the torque and the dL/dt business explaining the rotation. I still, however, cannot understand why the center of mass accelerates, because as said above, one side of the argument says ƩF =0 while another says ma ≠0.

This is the question I asked
... I had hoped that by focussing your attention on only part of your question, you will see that it contains the answer. I also hoped you would look through the links I gave you and attempt the question I asked you.

The normal and gravitational forces only cancel when they both act through the center of mass - which is when the gyroscope is upright. What is the rate of precession in that case?

If you tilt the gyro without spinning it up first, what does it do?
What do you conclude about the balance of the normal and gravity forces in that case?

Simon Bridge said:
... I had hoped that by focussing your attention on only part of your question, you will see that it contains the answer. I also hoped you would look through the links I gave you and attempt the question I asked you.

The normal and gravitational forces only cancel when they both act through the center of mass - which is when the gyroscope is upright. What is the rate of precession in that case?

If you tilt the gyro without spinning it up first, what does it do?
What do you conclude about the balance of the normal and gravity forces in that case?

As a gyroscope precesses uniformly, the vertical component of the center of mass' acceleration is zero, but the center of mass does accelerate. My guess (which I think is correct) is that the table has to force the gyroscope inwards via friction.

If there was no friction, the gyroscope's center of mass would then move in a straight line over time, which seems to be the case in this video: .

Am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think so - how is the direction of the linear motion determined?

Precession in terms of the unbalanced forces.

Notice that the hung gyro preceses (tries to) about it's center of mass.
The usual one has an extra horizontal reaction - friction - keeping the precession about the end-point. When the gyro is tipped over, the normal force no longer balances the weight - and the weight produces a torque ... but if it just fell over, angular momentum would not be conserved.

But you don't seem interested in following advise so I'll leave this for someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a short video which demonstrates precession in the case of no friction at the supporting surface. At this site there are also some flash demos.

TSny said:
Here is a short video which demonstrates precession in the case of no friction at the supporting surface. At this site there are also some flash demos.

Thank you, TSny! This is what I was wondering (answered in the first link) - without friction from the surface, the center of mass experiences zero acceleration, so the whole gyroscope must turn about the center of mass, and not its base.

AlwaysCurious said:
without friction from the surface, the center of mass experiences zero acceleration, so the whole gyroscope must turn about the center of mass, and not its base.

Yes, without friction at the base of support there can be no horizontal component of acceleration of the cm (so the cm cannot swing around in a horizontal circle). There could still be "nutation" in which the cm has a varying vertical component of acceleration (the normal force will be varying in magnitude).

Here's an interesting video I just found on nutation that includes some formidable mathematical references (as well as some Beethoven). Here we do have friction at the base, but it still gives a nice look at nutation.

Thank you again - although I know very little about the math (my book mentioned elliptic integrals but I skimmed over it), it was cool to see nutation, which I had not seen before.

1. What is a gyroscope and how does it work?

A gyroscope is a spinning wheel or disc that is mounted on an axis. It works by utilizing the principle of angular momentum, which states that a spinning object will continue to spin about its axis unless acted upon by an external force.

2. Why does a gyroscope accelerate?

A gyroscope accelerates because it is constantly experiencing a torque or turning force. This torque is created by the rotation of the gyroscope, which causes it to resist any changes in its orientation.

3. How does a gyroscope maintain its orientation?

A gyroscope maintains its orientation by utilizing the principle of rigidity in space. This means that once a gyroscope is set in motion, it will continue to spin in the same direction and at the same speed, regardless of any external forces acting on it.

4. What factors affect the acceleration of a gyroscope?

The acceleration of a gyroscope is affected by its mass, the speed of its rotation, and the external forces acting on it. A heavier gyroscope will require more force to accelerate, and a faster spinning gyroscope will have a greater resistance to changes in its orientation.

5. How is a gyroscope used in scientific and technological applications?

Gyroscopes are used in various scientific and technological applications, such as navigation systems, robotics, and stabilizing devices. They are also used in aerospace engineering to control the orientation of spacecraft and satellites.