Register to reply

HPLC experts: help with a problem I'm encountering?

by gravenewworld
Tags: encountering, experts, hplc
Share this thread:
gravenewworld
Jan23-14, 04:37 PM
P: 1,404
My method is simple--75% ACN and 25% water. If I premix my ACN and water into a single bottle and run it on a single line, my method works perfectly well. We have a quaternary pump set up. The problem happens if I put line A into 100% ACN and line B into 100% water and try to run 75% line A and 25% line B. The pressure of the system does not stabilize even after thorough degassing and through line priming. When I try to run the same method, it no longer works like if I were running a single isocratic gradient from line A with the premixed 75:25 mobile phase. Any ideas on what issues it may be with the pump?

Also, the flow rate coming out into the waste looks perfectly fine using both methods, which I find perplexing, because if there were some sort of leak when I ran the binary method, I'd expect a change in flow rate.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists eye improved thin films with metal substitution
Essential oils may provide good source of food preservation
Artificial skin flexes when it comes into contact with a solvent vapour

Register to reply