Trig identities and complex numbers help.

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of phasor equations in AC circuits and the need to eliminate imaginary numbers from the solution. The speaker presents their findings and asks for assistance in proving that the result is always of the form (1-cos(θ))/sin(θ). A solution is provided by multiplying and dividing by (1+cos(θ)-i sin(θ)) and using trigonometric identities.
Loudhvx
Please forgive me as I may have to edit this post to get the equations to show properly.

I am doing some work with AC circuits and part of one of my phasor equations has this in it:
[itex] \frac {2i} {1+cos(θ) + i sin(θ)} - i [/itex],
where i is the imaginary number [itex] \sqrt{-1}[/itex].

However, knowing the physics of the circuit tells me the end result should have no complex numbers.
This means "i" should drop out of this part of the equation.

When plugging in values for [itex] \theta [/itex], the i terms do in fact drop out.

By plugging in numbers, I found the result is always of the form:
[itex] \frac{a}{b} ( \frac{ai + b}{b + ai}) [/itex],
where [itex] a = 1 - cos (\theta)[/itex],
and [itex] b = sin (\theta)[/itex].
The portion in the parenthesis, obviously, always equals 1.

This gives me the result:
[itex] \frac {1 - cos (\theta)} {sin (\theta)} [/itex],
which satisfies the requirement of having no imaginary numbers.

Using this in my general equation seems to work as I confirmed with certain specific cases for which the solution was verifiable by other means.

My question, or my request for assistance, is in getting a formal proof that for all angles:
[itex] \frac {2i} {1+cos(θ) + i sin(θ)} - i = \frac {1 - cos (\theta)} {sin (\theta)} [/itex].

I tried using some trig identities and even Euler's identity, but, unfortunately, my trig is a little rusty.

Thank you for your time in advance.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
The math typing looks OK; what is you question?

I finished editing the post above, with my question.

Multiply and divide by ##1+\cos\theta-i\sin\theta##.

$$\frac{2i}{1+\cos\theta+i\sin\theta}-i=\frac{2i(1+\cos\theta-i\sin\theta)}{(1+\cos\theta)^2+\sin^2\theta}-i=\frac{i(1+\cos\theta-i\sin\theta)}{1+\cos\theta}-i$$
$$=i+\frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta}-i=\frac{\sin\theta}{1+\cos\theta}\times \frac{1-\cos\theta}{1-\cos\theta}=\frac{1-\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}$$

Likes 1 person
Thank you very very much! :)

and I guess I put this in the wrong forum. Sorry about that.

1. What are trig identities?

Trig identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and are true for all values of the variables involved. These identities are used to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations.

2. Why are trig identities important?

Trig identities are important because they allow us to manipulate and solve trigonometric equations in a more efficient way. They also help us establish relationships between different trigonometric functions, making it easier to understand and solve problems involving angles and triangles.

3. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1). Complex numbers are used to solve equations that cannot be solved with real numbers alone.

4. How are trig identities and complex numbers related?

Trig identities and complex numbers are related because complex numbers can be used to represent trigonometric functions. In fact, the sine and cosine functions can be expressed in terms of complex numbers, making it easier to apply trig identities to solve complex problems.

5. How can I use trig identities and complex numbers to solve equations?

To solve an equation involving trig identities and complex numbers, you can use the properties and relationships of trigonometric functions to simplify the equation. Then, you can use the properties of complex numbers, such as the distributive property, to manipulate the equation and solve for the desired variable.