Ssh on iPhone via 3G does not work

In summary, due to the use of NAT on 3G networks, it can be difficult to establish an SSH connection on an iPhone. Even with a static IP address, there is no guarantee of success. Trying to bypass the NAT is not recommended, but some advanced users have had success using a VPN. Jailbreaking an iPhone may not solve the issue and can pose security risks. Alternatives to using SSH on an iPhone through 3G include using a different network or a remote desktop application.
jk22
I tried server auditor to connect to m'y laptop from an iPhone. It works only if it is through a wifi. Does anyone know if it is possible through 3G ? Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
The majority of cell providers typically put subscribers on class A private address space (e.g. 10.138.140.22) and clients are further isolated from each other. Your best bet would be to use Wifi or some sort of a VPN.

1. Why can't I use SSH on my iPhone through 3G?

SSH (Secure Shell) is a network protocol used for secure remote access to a device. Many cellular networks, including 3G, use a technology called NAT (Network Address Translation) to conserve IP addresses. This means that your iPhone does not have a publicly accessible IP address, making it difficult to establish an SSH connection.

2. Can I use SSH on my iPhone through 3G if I have a static IP address?

Having a static IP address on your iPhone may make it easier to establish an SSH connection, but it does not guarantee that it will work. Some cellular networks may still use NAT, and even with a static IP, your device may not have the necessary ports open for SSH connections.

3. Is there a way to bypass the NAT on 3G and use SSH on my iPhone?

It is not recommended to try and bypass the NAT on a cellular network, as this can pose security risks and may be a violation of your service agreement. However, some advanced users have had success using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to establish an SSH connection through 3G.

4. Can I use SSH on my iPhone through 3G if I have a jailbroken device?

Jailbreaking your iPhone may allow for more customization and access to certain features, but it does not necessarily solve the issue of SSH over 3G. You may still encounter problems with NAT and port access, and there is a risk of compromising the security of your device by jailbreaking it.

5. Are there any alternative methods for using SSH on an iPhone through 3G?

If you are unable to establish an SSH connection through 3G, you may want to consider using a different network, such as Wi-Fi, or using a different device that does not rely on cellular data. Another option is to use a remote desktop application that allows for secure access to your device without the need for SSH.