Do You Use "Odd" Learning Aids?

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of "odd" learning aids such as listening to music, studying in different public locations, and creating a similar environment to the exam room. The speakers share their personal experiences and opinions on how these aids can be helpful in studying and taking exams.
kuahji
I'm just curious as to if anyone out there uses "odd" learning aids. What I mean is do you listen to Mozart when you study, drink lots of caffeine, write on colored paper, listen to hemi-sync beats, etc. Anyway, if you use learning aids, what do you use? ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
I think listening to music while studying something that needs to be remembered can help. Then when you take the exam just think back to one of the songs.

Something that always worked for me was to study the material at least three times in three different public locations. That might be: the library, the cafeteria, and a coffee shop. I found that if I studied it in an environment where I was surrounded by other seated people it was no problem transitioning to the test. If I just studied it alone in my room, the difference in atmosphere seemed to throw me off. I suppose that was kind of an odd study aid.

zoobyshoe said:
Something that always worked for me was to study the material at least three times in three different public locations. That might be: the library, the cafeteria, and a coffee shop. I found that if I studied it in an environment where I was surrounded by other seated people it was no problem transitioning to the test. If I just studied it alone in my room, the difference in atmosphere seemed to throw me off. I suppose that was kind of an odd study aid.
That's a good idea. I've been told that students perform better on exams if they study in a similar environment as the exam. I think the library can simulate an exam room fairly well...it's mostly very silent, but every once in a while, there are those little noises that seem much louder and more distracting when everything else is silent, like someone clicking a pen, or the scratch of pencils on paper, or the scraping of a chair on the floor as someone gets up to use the restroom, etc.

1. What are "odd" learning aids?

"Odd" learning aids refer to unconventional or non-traditional tools or methods used to aid in the learning process. These can include anything from games and puzzles to music and art.

2. How effective are "odd" learning aids?

The effectiveness of "odd" learning aids varies depending on the individual and the specific aid being used. However, studies have shown that using a variety of methods and tools can improve retention and understanding of new information.

3. Are there any specific "odd" learning aids that are more beneficial than others?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as different individuals may respond differently to various aids. It is important to experiment and find what works best for you.

4. Can "odd" learning aids be used in a formal education setting?

Yes, "odd" learning aids can be used in a formal education setting. In fact, many teachers and educators incorporate these aids into their lesson plans to make learning more engaging and interactive for their students.

5. Are there any downsides to using "odd" learning aids?

While "odd" learning aids can be effective, they may not work for everyone. Additionally, some aids may not align with traditional learning methods and may not be readily accepted in a formal education setting. It's important to use these aids in moderation and find a balance between traditional and non-traditional learning methods.