Help With Dipole Moment Question

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about dipole moments in which the relative permittivity of xenon at STP is given, along with other relevant values such as Avogadro's number, volume of 1 mole of gas at STP, and permittivity of vacuum. The problem also involves calculating the permanent electric dipole moment of a completely ionic molecule. The solution involves using the given values to find the polarization vector and then using the equation P=np to find the dipole moment. The conversation ends with the asker gaining a better understanding of the problem.
comwiz72
Hi, I'm stuck on a certain question in a tutorial sheet, and would appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

The problem is in one particular question to which I missed notes due to illness, and won't have time to copy up before they need handed in.

The question is on dipole moments:

The relative permittivity of xenon at S.T.P. (0C and 1 Atmosphere) is 1.001352. Estimate the magnitude of the dipole moment induced in each xenon atom when the gas is subjected to an electric field E of strength of 5 x 10^5 V/m

Avogadro's Number Na = 6.02 x 10^23
Volume of 1 mole of gas at S.T.P. = 2.24 x 10^-2
Permittivity of vacumn = 8.85 x 10^-12

If the equilibrium inter-nuclear separation r in a completely ionic molecule is 2.8 x 10^-10 metres, calculate its permanent electric dipole moment, and compare with the value obtained above.Like I said, I don't want the answer or solution, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to where to begin, and would appreciate a little explanation.

I've worked out the internuclear separation of the atoms, and I think I know where to go, but do I need to use the relative permittivity of the xenon to work out the electric field strength within the gas, then use the dipole moment calculation to get the result?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are given E. Use the permittivity to find P (Polarization vector).
Then use P=np, where n is the number density of atoms to find the dipole moment p.

ah of course, using the susceptibility = permittivity - 1
thats what i was looking for, thanks, i just couldn't see it :P

1. What is a dipole moment?

A dipole moment is a measure of the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule. It is a vector quantity that indicates the polarity of the molecule.

2. How is dipole moment calculated?

Dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge separation by the distance between the charges. It is usually measured in units of Debye (D).

3. What factors affect the dipole moment of a molecule?

The dipole moment of a molecule is affected by the electronegativity difference between atoms, the distance between the atoms, and the overall molecular shape.

4. How does dipole moment relate to molecular polarity?

Dipole moment is directly related to molecular polarity. A higher dipole moment indicates a more polar molecule, while a lower dipole moment indicates a less polar molecule.

5. Why is dipole moment important in chemistry?

Dipole moment is important in chemistry because it helps us understand the polarity of molecules, which can affect their physical and chemical properties. It is also used in predicting the reactivity and solubility of molecules.