Gravitational Acceleration near a Massive Black Hole

In summary, the radius and mass of a black hole are related by Rh = 2GMh/c^2, and for large black holes, the gravitational acceleration of an object at a distance Ro = 1.001Rh from the center is given by Ag = GM/ro^2. For a black hole with a mass of 1.61 × 10^14 times the solar mass, the gravitational acceleration at ro is 0.0945 m/s^2. To find the difference in gravitational acceleration between an astronaut's head and feet at ro, one must calculate ag at ro and at (ro + 1.66 m). This can be done by using the formula A * (1/ro^2 -
mb85
The radius Rhand mass Mh of a black hole are related by Rh = 2GMh/c^2, where c is the speed of light. Assume that the gravitational acceleration agof an object at a distance Ro = 1.001Rh from the center of a black hole is given by Ag = G M / r^2 (it is, for large black holes). (a) What is ag at ro for a very large black hole whose mass is 1.61 × 10^14 times the solar mass of 1.99 × 10^30 kg? (b) If an astronaut with a height of 1.66 m is at ro with her feet toward this black hole, what is the difference in gravitational acceleration between her head and her feet?

Rh = 2(6.67x10^-11)(3.204x10^44)/ (3.0x10^8)^2
Rh = 4.75 x 10^17

So then, Ag = GM/ (1.001Rh)^2
Ag = (6.67x10-11)(3.204x10^44)/(1.001 x 4.75x10^17)^2
Ag = 0.0945 m/s^2

I find myself having trouble with part B. How do i relate them?

I did Ag = (6.67x10^-11)(3.204x10^44)/(1.66 x 4.75x10^17)^2
Ag = 0.0344 m/s^2
So i did the difference btwn answer A and B and got .0601 m/s^2

But i know its wrong. Can someone help me out? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In part B,

calculate ag at ro and at (ro + 1.66 m).

This assumes the astronaut's feet are at ro.

So isn't Ro part A's answer?

and when you say Ro + 1.66, does that mean...
Ro =(1.001+1.66)Rh?

mb85 said:
So isn't Ro part A's answer?

and when you say Ro + 1.66, does that mean...
Ro =(1.001+1.66)Rh?
According to the problem, in part A, one is to calculate ag at ro.

In part B, find the between ag(ro) and ag(ro+1.66m).

It should be something like A * (1/ro2 - 1/(ro+1.66m)2), where A is some constant.

1. What is the concept of "gravitation above a black hole"?

Gravitation above a black hole refers to the gravitational pull that is exerted by a black hole on objects or bodies that are located above its event horizon. This pull is so strong that it can even affect light, making it difficult to escape the black hole's gravitational field.

2. How does the strength of gravity above a black hole compare to that of Earth?

The strength of gravity above a black hole is significantly stronger than that of Earth. The gravitational pull increases as an object gets closer to the black hole, and at the event horizon, it becomes infinite. This is known as the singularity of a black hole.

3. Can anything escape the gravitational pull of a black hole?

Yes, objects with enough energy and velocity can escape the gravitational pull of a black hole. This is known as the escape velocity. However, once an object crosses the event horizon, it becomes impossible for it to escape.

4. How does the gravitational pull of a black hole affect time?

The strong gravitational pull of a black hole can also affect time. Time near a black hole moves slower than it does further away. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

5. Can the gravitational pull of a black hole be measured?

Yes, the gravitational pull of a black hole can be measured using various techniques such as observing the motion of stars and gas near the black hole or measuring the distortion of light caused by the black hole's gravitational lensing effect.