Lebesgue integral once again

• Thread starter r4nd0m
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: More specifically, if g is a measurable function and f is a non-measurable function such that f(g(x)) is not measurable with respect to the measure M, then sup(f(g(x))-f(x)) is not measurable with respect to M. In summary, the Lebesgue integral of f is not defined if f is not measurable with respect to the measure M.
r4nd0m
I have one more question about the Lebesgue integral:

What if we defined the Lebesgue integral like this:

Let X be a measurable space and f any nonnegative function from X to R.

Then the Lebesgue integral of f as [tex]\int_X f d\mu = sup(I_X)[/tex] where [tex]I_X[/tex] is the integral of a simple function and the sup is taken over all simple measurable functions on X, such that 0<=s<=f.

As you see this definition is the same as the original, except, that the assumption that f is measurable is missing.

My question is: What would be wrong with this definition?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If f is not measurable, then sup(Ix) will not exist.

Why shouldn't the supremum exist?

Why shouldn't the supremum exist?

What would be the meaning of a simple integral over a non-measurable set?

The set is non-measurable, so we cannot apply the definition, and [tex]I_{X}[/tex] is empty and thus has no supremum!

You could define it like that for any functions, but you'd lose nice properties, like linearity and the convergence theorems.

Crosson said:
What would be the meaning of a simple integral over a non-measurable set?

The set is non-measurable, so we cannot apply the definition, and [tex]I_{X}[/tex] is empty and thus has no supremum!

The set IS measurable, the FUNCTION is not measurable.

StatusX said:
You could define it like that for any functions, but you'd lose nice properties, like linearity and the convergence theorems.

Thanks, this seems to be reasonable.

More concretely, I would expect your definition, for nonmeasurable functions, to have bad behavior akin to Lebesgue inner measure for nonmeasurable sets.

Hurkyl said:
More concretely, I would expect your definition, for nonmeasurable functions, to have bad behavior akin to Lebesgue inner measure for nonmeasurable sets.

I don't really understand what you mean, can you give an example?

To StatusX:
Can it be proven, that if f is not measurable, then the integral is not linear?

Basically, what I want to know is - I try to imagine that I'm in the position of Henri Lebesgue and I have to define a new kind of integral as general as possible. The definition of the measure seems to be very natural.

But I don't understand how did he come to the definition of a measurable function.
I see, that there are no problems with that definition and that we get many nice properties from it, but I think that the natural question is, can we make it more general and still keep the nice properties?
Or can the opposite be PROVEN, that if we changed the definition we would lose the properties?

The definition of measurable function is "obvious". There is an interesting class of sets (measurable sets), so one naturally wants to know what sorts of functions play nice with them.

open sets : continuous functions :: measurable sets : measurable functions

From this, one (maybe) can intuit why measurable functions are precisely the functions that behave nicely w.r.t. integration.

Incidentally, here's a simle class of nonmeasurable functions that might help you build counterexamples: for any nonmeasurable set, its characteristic function is nonmeasurable.

need measurable set

Lebesgue integral of a function is based on measure of sets defined by inverse images. the inverse image need to belong to the sigma algebra on which the measure is defined. A function is not measurable with respect to a measure if the inverse image does not belong to the sigma algebra. In that case you cannot give a measure of this inverse image and therefore the integral cannot be calculated.

1. What is the Lebesgue integral?

The Lebesgue integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area under a curve or the volume under a surface. It is a generalization of the Riemann integral and is used to solve problems in various fields of mathematics, including calculus, analysis, and probability theory.

2. How is the Lebesgue integral different from the Riemann integral?

The main difference between the Lebesgue and Riemann integrals is the approach used to calculate the integral. The Riemann integral divides the area under the curve into small rectangles, while the Lebesgue integral divides the area into smaller regions called "measurable sets." The Lebesgue integral also allows for the integration of more complex functions, such as discontinuous and unbounded functions, which cannot be integrated using the Riemann integral.

3. What are the steps to calculate a Lebesgue integral?

The steps to calculate a Lebesgue integral are as follows:

1. Define the function to be integrated.
  2. Break the function into smaller pieces using measurable sets.
  3. Calculate the Lebesgue measure of each set.
  4. Multiply each measure by the value of the function on that set.
  5. Sum up all the values to get the integral.

4. When is the Lebesgue integral used?

The Lebesgue integral is used when the Riemann integral is not applicable, such as when dealing with highly discontinuous functions or unbounded functions. It is also used in probability theory to calculate the probability of certain events.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lebesgue integral?

One of the main advantages of the Lebesgue integral is its ability to integrate a wider range of functions compared to the Riemann integral. It also provides a more efficient and intuitive approach to solving integration problems. Additionally, the Lebesgue integral is closely related to the concept of measure, which allows for a deeper understanding of the properties of functions and sets.