BS and MS from one University?

• Schools
  • Thread starter 600burger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential impact of obtaining a BS and MS from the same school when looking for a job. Some believe it may be detrimental, while others say it does not matter. The individual asking the question is happy with the research opportunities at their current school and is considering staying for their MS. Others in the conversation share their experiences of having multiple degrees from the same school and how it did not affect them professionally. One individual mentions a unique experience offered at their school that made them stay and mentions the use of specialized software for their research.
600burger
I've been told conflicting things by many people in higher places than my own.

Some say its detrimental to get a BS and MS from the same school when looking for a job.
Others say that it really doesn't matter.

So my question is why would it hurt me to stay/how could it help me to move?

FYI:
Graduating with BS in Mechanical and Aeronautical Science and Engineering from UCDavis
Planning for a MS in Mechanical.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my perspective in industry (EE in R&D), it makes no difference. We look at work experience and your knowledge and abilities.

BTW, I got my BSEE from UC Davis (MSEE from a different school, but that was part of a scholarship deal), and go back to Picnic Day just about every year. I'd say stay there for you MS work, as long as you are happy with the research opportunities.

Sounds like nonsense to me. I know lots of teachers who went to MIT for all of their degrees, BS,MS and PhD.

Cool, thanks guys.

It real didn't make sense to me either.

I'm extremely happy with the faculty and research going on here.

Picnic day is definately a blast (less it rains like last year!). Come check out the AMAT table next year!
http://mae.ucdavis.edu/team/amat/news.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Academic inbreeding is more of a concern for academic positions than for industry positions.

600burger said:
Picnic day is definately a blast (less it rains like last year!). Come check out the AMAT table next year!
http://mae.ucdavis.edu/team/amat/news.html

Hey, that AMAT is very cool :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a BS and MS from the same school/dept and had started a PhD. It made not difference professionally. I stayed because that was the only program in the country to offer a very unique experience, and I couldn't pass it up.

Astronuc said:
I have a BS and MS from the same school/dept and had started a PhD. It made not difference professionally. I stayed because that was the only program in the country to offer a very unique experience, and I couldn't pass it up.

What was the unique experience, Astronuc, if you don't mind me asking?

The combination of aerospace and nuclear engineering in a NASA affiliated program. It was partly sponsored by USRA. The research involved nuclear propulsion and power concepts for spacecraft and power systems for missions to moon and planets, particularly Mars.

In addition, we had experts from overseas visiting the department, and we got to use some unique software - simulation codes - not avaiable at any other university. The first job out of graduate school involved the use of an earlier version of one of those codes.

1. Can I pursue a BS and MS from the same university?

Yes, it is possible to pursue both a Bachelor's and Master's degree from the same university. Many universities offer combined programs or allow students to apply for a Master's program during their senior year of their undergraduate studies.

2. Will my BS and MS be from the same department or school?

It depends on the university and the specific programs you are pursuing. Some universities may offer combined programs where you can earn a BS and MS in the same field, while others may have separate departments or schools for each degree.

3. How long does it typically take to complete a BS and MS from one university?

The length of time it takes to complete a BS and MS from one university can vary. Some combined programs may take 5 years to complete, while others may allow students to complete both degrees in as little as 4 years. It also depends on the specific requirements of each degree and the pace at which the student completes their coursework.

4. Are there any advantages to pursuing a BS and MS from one university?

There can be several advantages to pursuing both degrees from one university. For example, you may have access to a larger network of faculty and resources, and you may be able to transfer credits between your undergraduate and graduate courses. Additionally, completing both degrees from the same university can demonstrate your commitment and depth of knowledge in a particular field.

5. Can I transfer my BS or MS credits to another university?

It depends on the policies of the university you are transferring to. Some universities may accept transfer credits from a BS or MS earned at another institution, while others may not. It is best to research the transfer policies of the university you are interested in transferring to before making a decision.