Physics Problem find displacement.

In summary: Also, the question mentions a direction of 52 degrees south of east but you use 52 degrees. Additionally, the question asks for the magnitude and direction of the displacement, but your solution only provides the magnitude. Your solution also uses the wrong equation for displacement, as it is not a constant acceleration problem. Instead, you should use the equation x = x0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2 and y = y0 + v0t + (1/2)at^2 to find the displacement components. Finally, your calculations seem to have rounding errors, which could explain the discrepancy in the final answer.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

A duck has a mass of 2.5 kg. As the duck paddles, a force of the water exerts a force of 20.0 N in a direction of 52 degrees south of east. When these forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is .11 m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction ( relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes 3.0 s while the forces are acting.

time=3.0s
angle=52 degrees
F=.20 N
F=.10N
Mass of duck=2.5 kg

Homework Equations

Acos 52 degrees
A sin 52 degrees

x=Vox(t) + Ax (t)^2/ 2

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out the x component, and I got .20cos 52=.123 N
Then I added .10 N + .123 =.223 N
Then I figured out the acceleration .233 N/ 2.5 kg= .089 m/s^2
(if your getting a different answer then me it's because I rounded off, but I'm still using the exact numbers on my calculator such as
.1231222951)

Then I used that kinematic equation x= .11 m/s (3.0 s) + (.089 m/s^2) (3.0s)^2/2 = .7305 m

In the back of my book the answer is .78 meters. What did I do wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution is a bit hard to follow. Try solving for the x (east) and y (north) components separately. Find the components of the force, then the acceleration. Then solve for the displacement components, then the total displacement.

Components of the force

afcwestwarrior said:
Components of the force

The question mentions 20N. But you use 0.20N and 0.10N... I assume the 0.20 is a typo but where is the 0.10 coming from?

1. What is displacement in physics?

Displacement in physics refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate displacement in physics?

To calculate displacement, you need to know the initial position and final position of an object. You can then use the formula Δx = xf - xi, where Δx is the displacement, xf is the final position, and xi is the initial position.

3. Can displacement be negative in physics?

Yes, displacement can be negative in physics. This occurs when an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. For example, if an object starts at x = 10 and ends at x = 5, the displacement would be Δx = 5 - 10 = -5.

4. What is the difference between displacement and distance in physics?

Displacement and distance are often used interchangeably, but they have different meanings in physics. Distance refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object, while displacement only measures the change in position from the initial to final position.

5. How is displacement related to velocity in physics?

Displacement and velocity are closely related in physics. Velocity is the rate of change of displacement, meaning it measures how fast an object is changing its position. This can be represented by the formula v = Δx/Δt, where v is velocity, Δx is the displacement, and Δt is the change in time.