How can we use sound energy to power motors?

In summary, Russ is correct - there is not much usable energy in sound waves. However, there are ways to convert sound energy into electrical energy, and this technology is being developed for things like accelerometers that power themselves and transmit measurements wirelessly.
ben328i
i might have already posted this i forgot
basically one day i was why can't we get more energy from a motor by using its sound waves.

but some has thought of that already so...
how does he do it. how does it work.

[edit: crackpot link deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The amount of energy contained in sound waves is unbelievably low. There isn't any useable energy to harness.

Also, we don't provide free advertising to crackpot websites here - even if you just posted the link to ask a question.

what??

Which part didn't you understand...?

russ_watters said:
Which part didn't you understand...?

ok sry bout the advertising thing.
but how can you just blow off an energy source that is consitantly made with everysingle type of engine.
even if it only get a little energy it could make a lot of things more efficient.
even if it gave you 2 extra mpg i mean that's a lot.

ben328i said:
but how can you just blow off an energy source that is consitantly made with everysingle type of engine.
even if it only get a little energy it could make a lot of things more efficient.
even if it gave you 2 extra mpg i mean that's a lot.
Yes, that is a lot - and sound energy can't do that for you! Sound energy is much, much, much weaker than that. Lemme back up a bit:

Converting sound energy to electrical energy is not a new concept. That's what a microphone does. And there are systems out there, such as the Navy's sound powered phones, that use the energy generated by the microphone to power the device. But the amount of energy we're talking about here is miniscule.

If you could use the enclosure of a gas turbine enegine to capture the sound (in a way, it does already...) and convert it directly to power, you'd be able to generate a few extra watts for a plant that already generates megawatts.

For other devices, it isn't even possible to do that - you can't improve the fuel economy of your car this way because you can't caputure the sound without enclosing the car in a coccoon. Sound energy radiates in all directions.

A somewhat related concept that would be more workable would be to use piezoelectric shocks or engine mounts in your car to generate electricity. These might generate enough electricity to run the cabin LED lights, but that's it: a few watts.

russ_watters said:
A somewhat related concept that would be more workable would be to use piezoelectric shocks or engine mounts in your car to generate electricity. These might generate enough electricity to run the cabin LED lights, but that's it: a few watts.

Russ is correct.
This kind of technology is being developed for things like accelerometers designed to power themselves and transmit measurements wirelessly, for widespread condition monitoring in plant. Even on huge plant, the power output is very small (and I don't even think it's yet great enough to power the radio transmitter).

o ok.
i completely forgot what a mic does.
well...
i think ill get back to my math homework instead of pondering this

Keep daydreaming, though - that's where engineers come from.

And guys like me... but that's probably not something that should be publicized. :eek:

Danger said:
And guys like me... but that's probably not something that should be publicized. :eek:

huh?

1. What is sound energy?

Sound energy is a form of energy that is produced by vibrations in matter. These vibrations create pressure waves that travel through a medium, such as air or water, and can be detected by our ears.

2. How can sound energy be harnessed?

There are several ways to harness sound energy, such as using it to create electricity through devices like microphones and speakers, or using it to power mechanical systems through the use of sound waves.

3. What are some examples of harnessing sound energy?

Some examples of harnessing sound energy include using wind turbines to capture sound energy and convert it into electricity, using sonar technology for navigation and finding objects underwater, and using sound waves to detect cracks and defects in structures.

4. What are the benefits of harnessing sound energy?

Harnessing sound energy can have several benefits, including providing a renewable and sustainable source of energy, reducing dependence on fossil fuels, and reducing air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to harnessing sound energy?

Some potential drawbacks of harnessing sound energy include the potential for noise pollution, as well as the need for specialized equipment and technology to effectively capture and utilize sound energy.