Need Help with Calculating Dipole Moment Ratio

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approach a problem involving replacing psi(v) with a ground state harmonic oscillator function and calculating the dipole moment. The recommended steps are to first replace psi_nu with psi_0 and psi_vu' with psi_1, do the integral and get a number called A. Then, replace psi_nu with psi_1 and psi_vu' with psi_2, do the integral and get a number called B. Finally, divide A by B to get the desired answer. The resulting answer was .707.
gazepdapi1
I am having some trouble starting this one.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8080/79432817ke4.jpg

Im not sure if I am supposed to replace the psi(v) with some ground state harmonic oscialltor function or not. If so, do I then just take the integrals and then divide 1 to 2 by 0 to 1 to get the ratio of the dipole moment?

Any help is appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
replace psi_nu with psi_0 and psi_vu' with psi_1 then do the integral. you get some number, call it A.

next replace psi_nu with psi_1 and psi_vu' with psi_2 then do the integral. you get some number, call it B.

next divide A by B. That is your answer.

I get .707 as the answer. If someone could check for me that would be great.

What is a dipole moment ratio?

A dipole moment ratio is a measure of the polarity of a molecule. It represents the separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule, which can greatly influence its chemical and physical properties.

Why is calculating dipole moment ratio important?

Calculating dipole moment ratio is important because it helps us understand the polarity of a molecule, which can affect its reactivity, solubility, and other properties. It is also important in determining the strength of intermolecular forces between molecules.

How do you calculate dipole moment ratio?

The dipole moment ratio is calculated by multiplying the distance between the centers of positive and negative charges within a molecule by the magnitude of the charges. This value is then divided by the total distance between all charges in the molecule. The resulting unit is typically measured in Debye (D).

What factors affect dipole moment ratio?

The factors that affect dipole moment ratio include the electronegativity difference between atoms, the molecular geometry, and the bond polarity. A higher electronegativity difference and a more polar bond will result in a larger dipole moment ratio.

How is dipole moment ratio used in chemistry?

Dipole moment ratio is used in chemistry to predict and explain the physical and chemical properties of molecules. It is also used to determine the type and strength of intermolecular forces, which can affect the boiling point, melting point, and solubility of a substance. Additionally, dipole moment ratio is used in spectroscopy techniques to identify and analyze molecules.