Are homo sapiens a cybernetic life-form?

• Thread starter MonstersFromTheId
  • Start date
  • Tags
    homo
In summary: We are already, ambulatory internal combustion engines. We made the first simple batteries in the Babylonian era, that we know of. We made the first simple engines because we could not even come close to understanding the complexity of the engines we are. We created engines to serve our engines, we are gifted with this physical interface form, well yet, beyond our understanding.
MonstersFromTheId
:wink:
Homo sapiens:
A cybernetic life-form, native to the third planet from a medium sized star.
Primary food sources:
Petroleum oil
Ferrous metals
Water
Trace amounts of organic material
:wink:

O.k. so I'm kidding, but only partly.
Consider; how many of us would starve without the technology we use to produce, store, and distribute, the food required to keep the billions of us there are alive?
What do you suppose we consume more of as a species - wheat, or oil? Steel or beef? Water or toilet paper?
I really don't know myself, I don't even know where I'd go to find out, or even how something like that should be counted. But I do strongly suspect that without the massive monocultures of wheat tended and harvested by fairly complex machines, the trucks and highways that form what at this point really could be viewed as a massive circulatory system, without the warehouses, and the telecommunications used to determine what winds up where and when,.. there'd be a hell of a lot fewer of us.

So the question becomes - at what point does making distinctions between ourselves and our technology become a more or less meaningless distinction in classifying our species?
Over the long pull, how many of you believe that it's pretty much inevitable that humanity probably is going to wind up a truly cybernetic life-form?

How many think we're already there?

Monsters

Biology news on Phys.org
So we're all going to turn into Robbies? (I do love your handle!)

If we could stand to lose 99.9% of us we could go back to subsistence agriculture any time. Or hunting - some people do that already. Up in my neck of the woods there are individual bowhunters whose entire yearly protein comes from their kill. Of course they depend on freezers - hence on electricity...

selfAdjoint said:
So we're all going to turn into Robbies?

:biggrin:
Clickity-click-click-CLACK!
Yes sir. That possibility would be consistent with all rellevant parameters likely to effect the evolutionary development path currently observed sir.
:biggrin:

:wink: "Robbie" STILL, to this very day, gets my vote as the best dammed robot character film ever produced.
"Of course they depend on freezers - hence on electricity..."
But even without freezers it probably wouldn't take 'em long to start smoking or salting the meat you know?
Maybe those people are nature's way of takin out insurance on this whole monkey with too big a brain come cyborg experiment. ;-)
"Never bet more than you can afford to loose?"

Monsters

We are already, ambulatory internal combustion engines. We made the first simple batteries in the Babylonian era, that we know of. We made the first simple engines because we could not even come close to understanding the complexity of the engines we are. We created engines to serve our engines, we are gifted with this physical interface form, well yet, beyond our understanding.

We have not grasped some of the most fundamental aspects of our tenure here, so it represents no evolution to change into less complex machines, simply because we don't understand ourselves.

1. What is a cybernetic life-form?

A cybernetic life-form is a living organism that integrates technology and biology in order to function. This can include artificial organs, prosthetics, and other technological enhancements that enhance the organism's abilities.

2. How are homo sapiens considered a cybernetic life-form?

Homo sapiens, or humans, can be considered cybernetic life-forms because we have been using technology to enhance our abilities since the earliest days of our existence. From simple tools to complex machines, humans have incorporated technology into our daily lives.

3. What are some examples of cybernetic enhancements in humans?

Some examples of cybernetic enhancements in humans include pacemakers, prosthetic limbs, cochlear implants, and brain-computer interfaces. These technologies are used to replace or enhance the function of damaged or missing body parts.

4. Are there any ethical concerns surrounding the use of cybernetic enhancements in humans?

Yes, there are ethical concerns surrounding the use of cybernetic enhancements in humans. Some of these concerns include access and affordability, potential discrimination against individuals without enhancements, and the potential for societal pressure to conform to enhanced norms.

5. How might the use of cybernetic enhancements impact the future of humanity?

The use of cybernetic enhancements in humans has the potential to greatly impact the future of humanity. It could lead to increased physical and cognitive abilities, longer lifespans, and potentially even a new stage of human evolution. However, it also raises questions about what it means to be human and the potential consequences of altering our biology with technology.