Programming Fractals: How-To Guide

In summary, the person is new to programming and wants to learn how to draw a fractal. They have never programmed before and are starting with something simpler. They suggest starting with displaying the Fibonacci sequence.
Doctoress SD
Can someone tell me how to do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
Tell us what you know so far. Do you know what an initiator and a generator are, in the context of fractals?

berkeman said:
Tell us what you know so far. Do you know what an initiator and a generator are, in the context of fractals?

I only know what a compiler is and don't know how to work it. I am completely new to this but want to get ahead so that when we study this next year I will not fall behind too far.

I am guessing they are as they sound.

SD

It won't hurt if you will be a little bit more specific. Do you want to write a program that will draw a fractal? Any fractal, or do you have something selected already?

Perhaps a fractal that is already programmed and the software used so that I can read it and see where it comes from. A fractal that when you zoom in on it, it continues going in and in forever. Any fractal. I would like to know how to write a program that will zoom in on a fractal wherever you click it and it will zoom as long as you click it.
I have never programmed before and this is completely new to me.

The math and the program code to generate a fractal are both simple.
The graphics part eats your lunch. Why don't you download winfract and play with it?
It's still free.
Then you'll know at least the names of the things you're talking about. Plus, it is a lot of fun to mess with.

winfract link is at the bottom of this page http://www.dwponline.com/fractals/

Here is a simple mandelbrot set generator that uses glut (graphics), if you want to see what the code looks like:
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~angel/BOOK/INTERACTIVE_COMPUTER_GRAPHICS/FIRST_EDITION/programs/mandelbrot.c

Doctoress SD said:
I have never programmed before and this is completely new to me.

So you are probably aiming too high. Start with something simpler. Write program that'll display Fibonacci numbers or something. Displaying graphic and getting input from mouse will require already some fluency in programming.

Ok, how do I do that? The Fibonacci sequence is SOOOOOOOO cool. I just had to say that. Nature is amazing, like wow.

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are geometric figures or shapes that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. This means that the same patterns or shapes can be found at smaller and larger scales within the overall structure.

2. Why is programming fractals important?

Programming fractals allows us to create complex and intricate patterns and shapes that have practical applications in fields such as computer graphics, art, and data visualization. It also helps us better understand the underlying mathematical principles of natural structures.

3. What programming languages can be used to create fractals?

There are many programming languages that can be used to create fractals, including Java, Python, C++, and JavaScript. The choice of language will depend on your personal preference and the specific features and libraries needed for your project.

4. What are some common techniques for programming fractals?

Some common techniques for programming fractals include recursion, iteration, and chaos games. These techniques allow for the repetition and manipulation of simple mathematical formulas or algorithms to create complex and visually appealing fractal patterns.

5. Are there any resources or tools available for learning about programming fractals?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available for learning about programming fractals. These include online tutorials, books, and software programs specifically designed for creating and visualizing fractals. Some popular resources include the Fractal Foundation, Fractal Lab, and the Fractal Explorer software.