Frequency shift of light between observers in Schwarzschild space-time

In summary, the conversation discussed the frequency shift of light between two observers, O1 and O2, at positions r=r1 and r=r2. Using a result from Stephani, it was determined that the ratio of frequencies is given by a ratio of components of a null vector defined by the photon trajectory. This result can be used to calculate the gravitational frequency shift in the case of observers at rest with each other. It was noted that this formula gives the correct result in the case of special relativity.
Mentz114
Considering the simple case of two observers O1 and O2 lying on the same radius at positions r=r1 and r=r2 respectively.

Using a result from Stephani(1) I work out that the ratio of frequencies of light sent radially between these observers is given by this ratio, numerator and denominator evaluated at the points r=r1 and r=r2 respectively,

[tex]\frac{\nu_1}{\nu_2} = \frac{(g_{mn}u^m k^n)_1}{(g_{mn}u^m k^n)_2}[/tex] -------- (1)

where u(i)n is the 4-velocity of O1 and O2 and kn is a null vector defined by the photon trajectory ( up to a constant which will cancel out) so that

[tex]k_{m;n}k^n = 0[/tex] --------- (2)

which is the geodesic condition for a (transverse ?) plane wave.

We need to find the null vector kn. Because only k0 and k1 are non-zero for a radial photon it is not difficult to solve for k from equation (2), up to a factor, which is all we need. I got the components of kn,

[tex]\left(1 - \frac{2M}{r}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}}, \left(1 - \frac{2M}{r}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}, 0, 0[/tex]

which satisfy equ (1) and also gmnkmkn = 0.

Now we can calculate [itex](g_{mn}u^m k^n)_i[/itex] which gives,

[tex](g_{mn}u^m k^n)_i = u_i^1\left(1-\frac{2M}{r_i}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} - u_i^0\left(1-\frac{2M}{r_i}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex].

Which looks as if it could be right. If the observers are at rest wrt to each other, then we can write ui0 = 1 and ui1 = 0, which reduces equation (1) to the usual gravitational frequency shift.

For u to be a proper 4-vector gmnumun = 1 ( speed of light), so it should be possible to generalise this result a bit more.

If it's correct. This must have been worked out somewhere.

(1) 'General Relativity', Stephani, (Cambridge, 1993).

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't had much time for this and resources on the web for geometric optics seem limited. I did notice that my formula derived above,

[tex](g_{mn}u^m k^n)_i = u_i^1\left(1-\frac{2M}{r_i}\right)^{-\frac{1}{2}} - u_i^0\left(1-\frac{2M}{r_i}\right)^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

gives the correct SR result for M=0, namely

[tex]g_{mn}u^m k^n = u^1 - u^0 = \gamma\beta - \gamma = \gamma(\beta - 1)[/tex].

The sign is different, but that disappears when we take the ratio.

The frequency shift of light between observers in Schwarzschild space-time is an important concept in general relativity and has been studied extensively. The result you have derived from Stephani's work is correct and has been derived by other authors as well. The ratio of frequencies of light sent radially between two observers on the same radius in Schwarzschild space-time is indeed given by equation (1). This result is known as the gravitational redshift and is a consequence of the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of a massive object, such as a black hole.

The null vector kn that you have calculated is the 4-momentum of the photon, which satisfies the geodesic equation (2). This equation ensures that the photon follows a path of maximum proper time, which is a straight line in curved space-time. The components of kn that you have derived are correct and satisfy the condition of being a null vector.

The expression for (g_{mn}u^m k^n)_i that you have obtained is also correct and reduces to the usual gravitational frequency shift when the observers are at rest with respect to each other. This is because in this case, the 4-velocity of the observers is given by ui0 = 1 and ui1 = 0, which simplifies the expression.

It is possible to generalize this result further by considering the case of two observers at different radii. In this case, the expression for the ratio of frequencies will involve additional terms that take into account the difference in the gravitational potential between the two observers. This result has also been derived by other authors and is known as the gravitational time dilation.

Overall, your understanding of the frequency shift of light between observers in Schwarzschild space-time is correct and your derivation is valid. This result has been studied extensively and is an important concept in general relativity.

1. How does the frequency of light change between observers in Schwarzschild space-time?

The frequency of light changes due to the effects of gravitational time dilation and redshift. As an observer gets closer to a massive object, the gravitational pull increases, causing time to slow down. This results in a decrease in frequency, or a redshift, of light as it travels away from the object.

2. Can the frequency of light be shifted to higher values in Schwarzschild space-time?

Yes, the frequency of light can be shifted to higher values in Schwarzschild space-time. This is known as a blueshift and occurs when an observer is moving away from a massive object. In this case, the gravitational pull is weaker, causing time to speed up and resulting in an increase in frequency of light.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the frequency shift of light in Schwarzschild space-time?

The mass of the object has a direct effect on the frequency shift of light in Schwarzschild space-time. The larger the mass of the object, the stronger the gravitational pull and the greater the time dilation and redshift. The smaller the mass, the weaker the gravitational pull and the less significant the frequency shift.

4. Is the frequency shift of light constant throughout Schwarzschild space-time?

No, the frequency shift of light is not constant throughout Schwarzschild space-time. It varies depending on the distance from the massive object and the observer's relative velocity. The closer an observer is to the object, the more significant the frequency shift will be.

5. How does the speed of light affect the frequency shift in Schwarzschild space-time?

The speed of light is a constant and does not change. However, the frequency of light can be affected by the speed of the observer relative to the source of light. For example, an observer moving towards a source of light will experience a blueshift, while an observer moving away will experience a redshift, regardless of the speed of light itself.