Angular acceleration on a rod about an axis

In summary, the problem involves a 1 kg uniform rod supported at the left end by a horizontal axis and connected to the ceiling by a thread. After the thread is burned, the force exerted on the rod by the axis is 4.9 N upward, and the rod experiences an angular acceleration of 10.5 rad/s^2 and a translational acceleration of 7.35 m/s^2. The final parts of the problem can be solved using the conservation of energy and the moment of inertia formula, with the drop in height of the center of mass being related to the rotational kinetic energy of the rod.
Leigh10590

Homework Statement

A long, 1 kg uniform rod and 1.4 m length, is supported at the left end by a horizontal axis into the page and perpendicular to the rod. The right end is connected to the ceiling by a thin vertical thread so that the rod is horizontal.
The thread is burned by a match.
Find the force exerted on the rod by the axis immediatley after the thread breaks.
When the rod is at an angle of 80 degrees with the horizontal, find the angular velocity of the rod.

Homework Equations

the moment of Inertia of the rod is (ML^2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the force of the horizontal axis and the string to both be 4.9 N upward when at equilibrium. The angular acceleration of the rod is 10.5 rad/s^2. I also solved for the translational acceleration of the center of mass to be 7.35 m/s^2. I have no clue how to do the last two parts of the problem. Someone please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Leigh10590 said:

Homework Statement

A long, 1 kg uniform rod and 1.4 m length, is supported at the left end by a horizontal axis into the page and perpendicular to the rod. The right end is connected to the ceiling by a thin vertical thread so that the rod is horizontal.
The thread is burned by a match.
Find the force exerted on the rod by the axis immediatley after the thread breaks.
When the rod is at an angle of 80 degrees with the horizontal, find the angular velocity of the rod.

Homework Equations

the moment of Inertia of the rod is (ML^2)/3

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for the force of the horizontal axis and the string to both be 4.9 N upward when at equilibrium. The angular acceleration of the rod is 10.5 rad/s^2. I also solved for the translational acceleration of the center of mass to be 7.35 m/s^2. I have no clue how to do the last two parts of the problem. Someone please help me!

You might want to remember the conservation of energy.

[tex]\Delta PE = \Delta KE = \Delta KE_{rotational}[/tex]

[tex] m*g*\Delta h = \frac{I\omega^2}{2}[/tex]

Your drop in height then of the center of mass would translate into the rotational kinetic energy. Your height of interest is when the height has dropped to the angle of 80 degrees perhaps?

I would first like to clarify that the given information does not provide the necessary data to solve for the angular velocity of the rod when it is at an angle of 80 degrees. The angular velocity is dependent on the initial angular velocity and the angular acceleration, both of which are not given in the problem.

However, I can provide a general response to the problem. Since the thread is burned, the only force acting on the rod is the force exerted by the horizontal axis. This force will cause the rod to rotate about its axis, resulting in an angular acceleration of 10.5 rad/s^2. This can be calculated using the equation τ=Iα, where τ is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration.

To find the force exerted on the rod by the axis immediately after the thread breaks, we can use Newton's second law for rotational motion, τ=Iα. Rearranging this equation, we get F=Iα/r, where F is the force, I is the moment of inertia, α is the angular acceleration, and r is the distance from the axis to the center of mass of the rod. Plugging in the given values, we get F=0.333 N.

As for the last part of the problem, we cannot solve for the angular velocity without knowing the initial angular velocity of the rod. However, we can calculate the velocity of the center of mass of the rod using the equation v=rω, where v is the linear velocity, r is the distance from the axis to the center of mass, and ω is the angular velocity. Using this equation and the given values, we can calculate the linear velocity of the center of mass to be 2.94 m/s.

What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which an object's angular velocity changes over time. It is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).

How is angular acceleration related to linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration and linear acceleration are related through the formula a = rα, where a is linear acceleration, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and α is angular acceleration.

What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod about an axis?

The angular acceleration of a rod about an axis is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied torque, the moment of inertia of the rod, and the distance from the axis of rotation.

How can angular acceleration be calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated using the formula α = τ/I, where α is angular acceleration, τ is the applied torque, and I is the moment of inertia of the rod.

What is the difference between angular acceleration and angular velocity?

Angular acceleration is the rate at which angular velocity changes over time, while angular velocity is the rate at which an object rotates around an axis. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second (rad/s) while angular acceleration is measured in radians per second squared (rad/s^2).