How can I prove that every uncountable subset of R has a limit point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that every uncountable subset of the real numbers has a limit point. The concept of a limit point is defined and the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, which states that every bounded infinite subset of the reals has a limit point, is mentioned. The problem at hand is uncountable and non-bounded, leading to the question of whether it is stronger than the BW theorem. The idea of using contradiction is suggested to approach the proof.
Unassuming

Homework Statement

I am trying to prove that every uncountable subset of R has a limit point in R.

(where R is the reals)

Homework Equations

I know that the reals are dense and you can find a real in between any two reals. I feel like if you keep finding a real in between two reals, you will find a limit point. I am not even sure where to start with this idea.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the definition of limit point. What is it?

Limit point of a set A: A limit point is a point x in which any neighborhood centered at x, no matter the size, intersects the set A at a point other than x.

The Bolzano-Weierstrass thrm states that , every bounded infinite subset of R has a limit point.

My problem does not have the bounded part, and is uncountable as opposed to the puny infinite.

I really don't understand why this works. Okay, if it's bounded and infinite then I feel convinced that it has a limit point (after seeing the thrm, of course). But non bounded, and uncountable? Is this problem stronger than the BW theorem?

Try using contradiction. Suppose your uncountable subset A in R does not have a limit point. That means, for any x in A, there is some ball around x which does not contain any element of A except itself. This should lead to a contradiction of A being uncountable.

1. How do you define an uncountable subset of R?

An uncountable subset of R is a subset of the real numbers that contains an infinite number of elements and cannot be put into a one-to-one correspondence with the set of natural numbers.

2. What is a limit point?

A limit point is a point in a set that can be approximated by other points in the set. In other words, every neighborhood of a limit point contains infinitely many points from the set.

3. Why is it important to prove the existence of a limit point in every uncountable subset of R?

Proving the existence of a limit point in every uncountable subset of R is important because it helps establish the completeness of the real numbers. It also has important implications in analysis and topology.

4. How can you prove that every uncountable subset of R has a limit point?

One way to prove this is by contradiction. Assume that there exists an uncountable subset of R without a limit point. Then, using the definition of a limit point, you can construct a decreasing sequence of neighborhoods that do not contain any points of the set. This contradicts the fact that the set is uncountable, as there must be infinitely many points in each neighborhood. Therefore, every uncountable subset of R must have a limit point.

5. Are there any other methods to prove this statement?

Yes, another method is using the Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem. This theorem states that every bounded infinite set in R has at least one limit point. Since an uncountable subset of R is necessarily infinite and unbounded, it must have a limit point according to this theorem.