Pointwise v. uniform convergence

In summary, the sequence \{f_n\} converges pointwise on [0,1] to a limit function f(x)=0 for x < 1 and f(x)=1/2 for x=1. It does not converge uniformly due to the discontinuity of the limit function. The integral statement is true under the Lebesgue integral, as shown by Lebesgue's Monotone Convergence Theorem.
jjou
(Problem 64 from practice math subject GRE exam:) For each positive integer n, let [tex]f_n[/tex] be the function defined on the interval [0,1] by [tex]f_n(x)=\frac{x^n}{1+x^n}[/tex]. Which of the following statements are true?
I. The sequence [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] converges pointwise on [0,1] to a limit function f.
II. The sequence [tex]\{f_n\}[/tex] converges uniformly on [0,1] to a limit function f.
III. [tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\int_0^1f_n(x)dx=\int_0^1\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}f_n(x)dx[/tex]

I believe the sequence does converge pointwise since [tex]f_n(x)\rightarrow0[tex] when for [tex]x\in\[0,1)[/tex] and [tex]f_n(1)=\frac{1}{2}[tex] for all n. So the sequence converges to the function f(x)=0 for x < 1 and f(x)=1/2 for x=1.

I'm not too familiar with uniform convergence - looked it up online. Is it enough to say that the sequence does not converge uniformly because the limit function f is discontinuous?

I don't know how to prove the last one ... it seems quite obvious to me (that you could interchange order of the limit and the integral). In what situations would this not be allowed and how can I check if, in this specific case, I can?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that

[tex]
f_n(0) = 0 \quad \forall n
[/tex]

so you know something about

[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n(0)
[/tex]

If [tex] x \in (0,1) [/tex] then [tex] x^n \to 0 [/tex] as [tex] n \to \infty [/tex] - so (your post is garbled here, so if this is what you wrote I apologize) you know something about

[tex]
\lim_{n \to \infty} f_n (x) \quad \text{ for } x \in (0,1)
[/tex]

Evaluating [tex] f_n(1) [/tex] will give you the point-wise limit at [tex] x = 1 [/tex].

This gives the point-wise limit of [tex] \{f_n(x) \} [/tex].

Re uniform convergence: with the point-wise limit known, is is possible to meet the conditions for uniform convergence with it?

For the integral question, simply calculate

[tex]
\int_0^1 f_n(x) \, dx
[/tex]

for arbitrary [tex] n [/tex] and calculate the limit. Does it equal

[tex]
\int_0^1 f(x) \, dx
[/tex]

I. You right, it converges pointwise. The books state the definition of pointwise convergence a little differently, but I like how you explain it: for each *point* x in the domain, you can show that the sequence evaluated at that point converges to the limit function evaluated at that point. (A number as the limit of a sequence of numbers)

II. Yes, you can conclude as you have. This is a theorem. You could also conclude this by exhibiting an epsilon such that there is no N with [tex]|f_n(x)-f(x)|<\varepsilon[/tex] for all n>N and all x in the domain.

III. If you have uniform convergence, you can swap the (Riemann) integral and the limit. You don't have that in this case. However, with the Lebesgue integral, you have more tests that allow the swapping, and this example satisfies Lebesgue's Monotone Convergence Theorem: for each x in [0,1],
[tex]f_n(x)=\frac{x^n}{1+x^n}=1-\frac{1}{1+x^n} \leq 1-\frac{1}{1+x^{n+1}}=\frac{x^{n+1}}{1+x^{n+1}}=f_{n+1}(x)[/tex], and each [tex]f_n[/tex] is monotonically increasing. Thus [tex]\lim_{x \to \infty}{\int{f_n(x)]dx}}=\int{f(x)dx}[/tex].

Another theorem allowing switching them is Lebesgue's Dominated Convergence Theorem.

1. What is the difference between pointwise and uniform convergence?

Pointwise convergence refers to a sequence of functions that converges to a specific point for every input. Uniform convergence, on the other hand, means that the sequence of functions converges uniformly to a point, meaning that the convergence is the same at every point.

2. How can I determine if a sequence of functions converges pointwise or uniformly?

To determine if a sequence of functions converges pointwise, you can evaluate the function at a specific point and see if it converges as the sequence progresses. To determine if a sequence of functions converges uniformly, you can use the uniform convergence definition and check if the limit of the supremum of the sequence of functions is equal to 0.

3. What are the advantages of uniform convergence over pointwise convergence?

Uniform convergence is advantageous because it guarantees that the limit function is continuous, whereas pointwise convergence does not necessarily ensure continuity. Additionally, uniform convergence allows for the interchange of limits and integrals, simplifying many mathematical calculations.

4. Can a sequence of functions converge pointwise but not uniformly?

Yes, it is possible for a sequence of functions to converge pointwise but not uniformly. This occurs when the convergence of the functions varies at different points, but still converges to a specific point for every input.

5. How is the concept of uniform convergence used in real-world applications?

Uniform convergence is a fundamental concept in the field of analysis and is used in various applications such as numerical analysis, signal processing, and data analysis. It is also used in the study of differential equations and in the proof of many mathematical theorems.