Integration by Parts: Solving 1/(u²(a+bu)²) with Substitution

I think you'll find that integration by parts will not help much in this case.In summary, the best approach for integrating 1/(u²(a+bu)²) would be to decompose it into partial fractions and then integrate the individual fractions separately. Integration by parts may not be helpful in this case.
nonechelon

Homework Statement

1/(u²(a+bu)²) a and b are constants u is the variable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know I am suppose to use substition by parts but i don't know what to use.
thanks for help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
nonechelon said:

Homework Statement

1/(u²(a+bu)²) a and b are constants u is the variable

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know I am suppose to use substition by parts but i don't know what to use.
thanks for help in advance

I'm confused. The title says "Integration by parts". Later on, you said you supposed to use "substitution by parts" which is not a technique I've ever heard of. There's a technique called "substitution".

There's also a technique called "partial fractions" or "partial fraction decomposition" in which you can decompose a complicated rational expression into a sum of simpler rational expressions.

So how are you supposed to do this problem?

oops i mean integration by parts i don't know why i said substitution.sorry

The best approach would be to decompose the fraction first into it's partial fractions as suggested by Mark44. Then integrate the partial fractions separately.

1. What is Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is a method used in calculus to find the integral of a product of two functions. This method is based on the product rule of differentiation and allows us to simplify complicated integrals into simpler ones.

2. When should I use Integration by Parts?

Integration by Parts is most commonly used when the integrand (the function being integrated) is a product of two functions, and one of the functions becomes simpler after being differentiated. It can also be used when one of the functions has a known antiderivative.

3. How do I perform Integration by Parts?

To perform Integration by Parts, we use the formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du. This formula involves choosing u and dv, differentiating u and integrating dv, and then plugging these values into the formula to find the integral.

4. Can Integration by Parts be used for definite integrals?

Yes, Integration by Parts can be used for definite integrals. In this case, the formula becomes: ∫a to b u dv = uv∣a to b - ∫a to b v du. The limits of integration are applied to the first term of the formula.

5. Are there any tips for solving Integration by Parts problems?

One tip for solving Integration by Parts problems is to choose u and dv strategically. Typically, u should be chosen as the more complicated function, and dv should be chosen as the simpler function. Another tip is to use integration by parts multiple times if necessary, simplifying the integral with each iteration.