How Do You Calculate Torque for a Shaft Using a Torque Multiplier?

In summary, the person is seeking help with a homework question, and needs to know the formula for torque, power, and distance. The person also needs to go feed their ferret.
GRUMPYBLADE
Can anyone help?

I need a calculation to find the force required @ the shaft indicated, to achieve torque indicated at the locating faces.
Assemtorqueshaft.jpg
[/PLAIN]

Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't see what that 'torque multiplier" is. Is this a homework question?

The formulae you need are:

torque = force x distance
power = torque x angular speed

Here, distance is the radius from the axes at which you apply your force.

Hello Brewnog,

The torque multiplier has a 125:1 ratio and drives the shaft via the square cut out, this is actualy a work related question, but I'm still unclear as to the solution. This is not really my field of expertise, as I live in a cardboard box just past junction38 on the M1.

:grumpy:

Hello Brewnog,

The torque multiplier has a 125:1 ratio and drives the shaft via the square cut out, this is actualy a work related question, but I am still unclear as to the solution. this is not really my field of expertise, as I live in a cardboard box just past junction38 on the M1

Well, I can't really understand how your torque multiplier works but if it has a ratio 0f 125:1 then

T1 = T2 x 125

or T2 = T1 x 125 depending on what part the torque is acting on.

Hello Topher925,

Surely it is not just a direct corelation? doesn't the gearing also multiply the amount of force? I don't know whether I am right but if I apply 19.2 ft/lb x 125 = 2400 x 5" (radius of gear) = 12000 ft/lb.

Just got to nip out to feed the ferret

Well I'll answer, but only since we Yorkshiremen have to stick together.

If the output gear were twice the size of the input gear, the torque would be doubled (speed would be halved) as per my second equation. Because the gears are the same size, the speed of the output gear is the same as that of the input gear, and torque is not increased. In fact, you lose a bit of torque to mechanical losses.

I still can't see how the torque multiplier works, but to achieve 12,000ft-lbs at your output shaft, and your torque multiplier is 125:1, then the input torque will be 12,000 / 125, or 12,000 x 125, depending on which way round your torque multiplier multiplies. The input torque would be a little over 96ft-lbs or 1,500,000ft-lbs respectively.

The first formula I quoted only applies if you are dealing with a force, not a torque.

Just got to nip out to feed the ferret

I do hope that's not a euphemism.

The torque multiplier is an enclosed arrangement of gears, with an input socket (to take a torque wrench), and output sprocket,(which fits the drive shaft), designed so you can set your torque wrench to 125th of the final output.

I'm still a little worried about the 96ft/lb figure, we started off using a lever and chain, knowing exactly how much force to apply, this moved the sleeve from hand-tight to 12000ft/lb approx 1" arouhd the diameter, using this as a guide we have torqued to approx 34ft/lb to achieve the same movement.

Got to go, the lurcher is pining

1. What is torque and why is it important in engineering?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is important in engineering because it allows us to determine the amount of force needed to rotate an object, as well as its ability to resist rotation. Torque is crucial in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as engines, motors, and gears.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the perpendicular distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque in newton-meters (Nm), F is force in newtons (N), and d is distance in meters (m).

3. What factors affect torque calculation?

The factors that affect torque calculation include the amount of force applied, the distance from the pivot point, the angle of the force, and the properties of the object being rotated, such as its mass and shape. Additionally, friction and other external forces can also affect the torque calculation.

4. Can torque be negative?

Yes, torque can be negative. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation. Negative torque can also be caused by external forces, such as friction, which can oppose the rotational motion of an object.

5. How is torque used in real-world applications?

Torque is used in a wide range of real-world applications, including designing and analyzing engines, motors, and other mechanical systems. It is also important in the construction industry, for tasks such as tightening bolts and screws. In the automotive industry, torque is used to measure the power and performance of a vehicle's engine. It is also crucial in sports, such as weightlifting and cycling, where torque is used to measure the amount of force applied by athletes.