Calculate Beam Deflection at C using Superposition

In summary, the forces in BC cause C to rotate, but the angle at which C rotates is determined by the geometry of the joint between BC and CD.
hyper
Hello, I am supposed to find the change in position at c by superposition. But I don't really know how all the parts will act together. Can someone please help?

I do see that when AB is made longer by a 12 kN force, C will rotate down. And C will also go longer down because of the 9 kN force, but what do I do with BC? The 12 kN force in AB will make the point B go more to the left here?

Please help.

http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=defldg9.jpg

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Was the Moment of Inertia for members BC and CD given? By 'change in position at c', do you mean 'rotation at C' ? Note that angle BCD must remain a right angle before and after loading. Also note that AB is in tension, and therefore must get longer in accord with the axial deflection formula for the 12kN tensile load.

PhanthomJay said:
Was the Moment of Inertia for members BC and CD given? By 'change in position at c', do you mean 'rotation at C' ? Note that angle BCD must remain a right angle before and after loading. Also note that AB is in tension, and therefore must get longer in accord with the axial deflection formula for the 12kN tensile load.

Sorry for beeing somewhat unclear. I meant the vertical displacement of point d. Don't know why I wrote c. And yes the moment of inhertia was given.

I doo see that the tension in AB will cause BCD to rotate, and I do see that the 9kN force will push D downwards. But what do I do about the forces in BC?. What do you mean when you say that BCD must remain a right angle?, how do I account for this in my calculations?

hyper said:
Sorry for beeing somewhat unclear. I meant the vertical displacement of point d. Don't know why I wrote c. And yes the moment of inhertia was given.

I doo see that the tension in AB will cause BCD to rotate, and I do see that the 9kN force will push D downwards. But what do I do about the forces in BC?.
You need only be concerned about the rotation of C due to 12kN force at B; the amount of rotation depends on the axial deformation of AB due to the 12 kN load, which must be equal to the "PL^3/3EI" deflection of point B relative to C. This can only happen if C rotates a certain amount, determined from the geometry. The rotation at C thus affects the displacement of D.
What do you mean when you say that BCD must remain a right angle?, how do I account for this in my calculations?
Since BC and CD are joined together by an ideally rigid fixed joint, the angle must stay a right angle by definition of ideal fixity. This will help with the geometry when determining the displacement at D due to the rotation at C. Draw a sketch. Is this a homework problem?

What is the purpose of calculating beam deflection at point C using superposition?

The purpose of calculating beam deflection at point C using superposition is to determine the amount of bending or displacement that occurs at a specific point on a beam when multiple loads are applied. This can help engineers and designers ensure that the beam can withstand the expected load without exceeding its maximum allowable deflection.

What is the superposition method used to calculate beam deflection at point C?

The superposition method is a mathematical technique used to solve complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, more manageable parts. In the case of calculating beam deflection at point C, it involves analyzing the individual deflections caused by each load separately, and then adding them together to get the total deflection at that point.

What are the key factors that affect beam deflection at point C?

The key factors that affect beam deflection at point C include the magnitude and location of the loads applied, the beam material and its properties (such as stiffness and strength), the beam's cross-sectional shape and dimensions, and the support conditions at both ends of the beam.

What are the limitations of using the superposition method to calculate beam deflection at point C?

The superposition method assumes that the beam is linearly elastic, meaning that it will return to its original shape once the loads are removed. It also assumes that the beam is homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties are consistent throughout its length. These assumptions may not hold true in real-world scenarios, which can lead to inaccuracies in the calculated deflection.

Are there any alternative methods for calculating beam deflection at point C?

Yes, there are alternative methods for calculating beam deflection at point C, such as using mathematical equations or numerical methods like finite element analysis. These methods may be more accurate but can also be more complex and time-consuming compared to the superposition method.